Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Thoughts on Cuba for CamB

Threaded View

Thoughts on Cuba for CamB

First off, six of my seven days there were spent on Cayo Guillermo. It is a 13 sq km islet on the Atlantic side of Cuba. It is the smallest (?) islet in the Jardines del Ray chain. These are now all linked to the mainland by a series of causeways, the longest of which is 20km. No Cubans live on the Jardines del Ray chain. Cayo Guillermo is mostly a beach a road and brackish mangrove swamp. This is why it has the world's largest population of flamingos and so many herons and egrets.

The resort was pricey by Cuban standards but quite cheap. There was not much Cuban food on offer at the resort. The water is drinkable. The sunrises were nice. We were there with fifty friends for a wedding and so had a really good time. The water was much colder and choppier than the Caribbean at this time of year and the beach was ridiculously weedy. Because of the frequent strong winds snorkelling was unrewarding, though I did see some barracuda and a lion fish.

Here are a ton of shots of the area.

Waterfront restaurant on the resort.

Watch tower

Dock. A youngish barracuda, about three feet long lived under this one.

The young barracuda.

Beach with the everpresent 40-50km wind.

Resort at night.

The four second hand held exposure and the wind makes the palm trees look like underwater ferns.

I would walk two to four miles every morning around sunrise. these are a very few of the pictures I snapped along the way.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Feb 17, 2015 at 09:39 PM.