Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abstinence - I'm giving up buying watches for Lent

Abstinence - I'm giving up buying watches for Lent

I really enjoyed the restraint threads in f71 in the old place (even if I wasn't very good at them), so given that today is the first day of Lent I thought I'd start one here. (If anyone doesn't know, Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter when Christians traditionally give something up)

I therefore hereby pledge that I won't buy any new watches or straps until 2nd April.

For some people here I imagine that would be an easy feat. For me, on the other hand, it is not. I don't think there has been a day since IWL started when I haven't had at least one watch inbound and at the time if writing I have 3 (all cheap Russians).

Should anyone want to join me the rules are simple: no watch related purchases unless they relate to a pre-existing pre-order.

2. Likes bacari liked this post
    I'd love to join you but I've already got a couple of bids out there so I assume I'm automatically disqualified.
    Good luck, you'll need it;
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I'd love to join you but I've already got a couple of bids out there so I assume I'm automatically disqualified.
    Good luck, you'll need it;
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    Trust me, I really really will....

5. Likes scottjc liked this post
    You have way more motivation than I can ever hope to have. Good for you.

After two days into that experiment, I would be laying on the floor in the fetal position sucking my thumb and humming Conway Twitty tunes.........

7. Likes scottjc, whatmeworry, Banker liked this post
    I admire your resolve!

I'm not feeling inclined to join you, but good luck
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

10. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Savagely Average
    I need to do this, because I want to buy another truck. A couple months with no frivolous watch purchases would help lol

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I really enjoyed the restraint threads in f71 in the old place (even if I wasn't very good at them), so given that today is the first day of Lent I thought I'd start one here. (If anyone doesn't know, Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter when Christians traditionally give something up)

I therefore hereby pledge that I won't buy any new watches or straps until 2nd April.

For some people here I imagine that would be an easy feat. For me, on the other hand, it is not. I don't think there has been a day since IWL started when I haven't had at least one watch inbound and at the time if writing I have 3 (all cheap Russians).

Should anyone want to join me the rules are simple: no watch related purchases unless they relate to a pre-existing pre-order.

So did you enjoy a watch related version of Mardi Gras yesterday, before the beginning of Lent today?

In before the fail....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scott59 View Post
    So did you enjoy a watch related version of Mardi Gras yesterday, before the beginning of Lent today?
    Ha, no not exactly. But I have had a month of pretty high consumption.

16. Likes scott59 liked this post