Likes Likes:  325
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: **** More for a score - The old years ****

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Absolutely fine - you’re in charge, ismy!
    did not think their would be just thought it fair to check still
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

hmmm missed the end of this one and I would have just snipped it too with my top bid

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

3. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Once again, thanks to Lyonk for the motivation of one of his peerless straps. I was already keen but that's the icing on the cherry on the cake.

With that in mind, here's a cheeky first entry

Winegartens were a ridiculously posh jewellery, clock and watch shop in the heart of the City of London for well over a century. As well as selling all the high end brands, often with their name added, they also had their own range of watches. This is a classic example of the sort of watch they sold in the late forties to early fifties. I'm confident that I'm looking at an all steel screwback case of around 35mm and the Schild 1187/94 is a very robust movement that is well within my capacity to fix if there's anything wrong with it beyond not having been serviced this side of the fifties. It helps that I have a couple of spare ones floating around somewhere...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-g...72.m2749.l2649

Not a bad start. £18.89 +£2.50 creeps over the line by £1.39, but I'm pretty sure that this is the sort of wriggle room ISMY had in mind and if it isn't, then I have the perfect excuse.

The problem, in as much as it is a problem, is that now I'm in twenty quid on ebay mode, I'll be buying random nonsense for the next month. I love this competition and have several excellent watches as a result!
    Last edited by Matt; Feb 25, 2018 at 05:10 PM.

Well I may have moved too fast but here's my entry

Billy super duper

6. Likes iyonk, Matt, tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    Well I may have moved too fast but here's my entry

Billy super duper

I've got a Waltham like that. In photos the dial looks a little plain, but in the hand, you realise that the shading from light to dark isn't just a trick of the light and just looks flat out lovely. Your greatest challenge is going to be getting a picture that captures that gentle transition as well as your eyes do. Nice catch!

8. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    The description says it has a look like a tiger's eye but they could not get a decent pic of it. We'll have to see.

Billy super duper

The description says it has a look like a tiger's eye but they could not get a decent pic of it. We'll have to see.

Billy super duper
    It looks really nice and it's yet another brand I've not heard of that's producing pretty watches! I'm just guessing what it will look like because it looks just like my Waltham (except that's blue) I think you are in for a treat and a challenge. Great catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Once again, thanks to Lyonk for the motivation of one of his peerless straps. I was already keen but that's the icing on the cherry on the cake.

With that in mind, here's a cheeky first entry

Winegartens were a ridiculously posh jewellery, clock and watch shop in the heart of the City of London for well over a century. As well as selling all the high end brands, often with their name added, they also had their own range of watches. This is a classic example of the sort of watch they sold in the late forties to early fifties. I'm confident that I'm looking at an all steel screwback case of around 35mm and the Schild 1187/94 is a very robust movement that is well within my capacity to fix if there's anything wrong with it beyond not having been serviced this side of the fifties. It helps that I have a couple of spare ones floating around somewhere...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-g...72.m2749.l2649

Not a bad start. £18.89 +£2.50 creeps over the line by £1.39, but I'm pretty sure that this is the sort of wriggle room ISMY had in mind and if it isn't, then I have the perfect excuse.

The problem, in as much as it is a problem, is that now I'm in twenty quid on ebay mode, I'll be buying random nonsense for the next month. I love this competition and have several excellent watches as a result!
    close enough

missed out on two so far that p.w lot and a globe chrono but want some thing really different if I can find it
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Billy super duper
    love a nice tiger eye dial
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

And here's another example of why I love this competition.

About ten minutes after I started searching, I bumped into an alarm clock. Now by some odd coincidence, last week I spent a few happy hours tracking down, and I'm not proud of this, the precise alarm clocks provided to the 1953 Everest expedition. As it turns out, they are a bit crap, but that's not really the point. However, in the back of my head, I had the notion that it might be worth having a dig to find out if anyone had made a really high quality Alarm clock. So when ISMY defined an acceptable purchase as:

lets say anything ticking and mechanical and has some aged too it
    My response that:

I'm assuming that it's got to be portable, but I might be wrong, which is why I'm aiming for the best HEAC (high end alarm clock) I can find.
    Wasn't actually a joke.

In fact, half an hour later, it really stopped being a joke when, after a bit of searching, I found the Jaeger LeCoultre alarm clock for the princely sum of £14.70. Now, the chances of it holding at that price were close to zero but even finding a JLC anything with 24 hours to go and under twenty quid got me thinking and, of course, researching. It turns out that JLC put the same effort into the inside of an alarm clock as anything else they make and so I decided that this was the proper response to my beloved's instruction (written clearly on my birthday card this morning) to 'go out and spend a couple of hundred quid on something daft'. After some thought, I decided that, actually, it was worth about fifty quid to me. which, as this is ebay, translated to £56.87. The fact that I won by precisely 87p demonstrates, if demonstration was necessary, the wisdom of bid sniping in the last five seconds and avoiding psychologically obvious bids.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Jaeg...72.m2749.l2649

(check out the numerals, JLC rock!)

It's a bit above the price limit, but I'd never had found it if it wasn't for the competition. I love this competition.

Then for an encore, I suspect I might just have bought a vintage Rolex for fifteen quid. More on that later...
    Last edited by Matt; Feb 25, 2018 at 09:21 PM.

14. Likes is that my watch, FuzzyB, DJW GB, skywatch liked this post