Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Brown, Mentalism, the Occult, Magick, Paranormal, etc

Question Darren Brown, Mentalism, the Occult, Magick, Paranormal, etc

Just watched a series of vids about Demon Magicians. Very interesting!

Darren Brown is in video 6 or 7.
    What do you British boys make of him?

I am open minded about things like this - NOT to say what the video producer felt is MY interpretation - only because I've also had experiences that might be called "paranormal."

What's your take?
    All fake? Props, actors, and CG?

Or, as I tend to see it, are SOME of these actually something beyond the laws of standard physics? (which is to say, our current understanding of matter and forces may not YET be as complete as it can be.)

3. Likes whatmeworry, popoki nui liked this post
    I've never scaled a cliff, so you'll probably never be able to convey to me the essence of YOUR experience - which is unimaginably (to me) more intense and beautiful and wondrous than just frozen fingers and getting hurt.

I've seen things - right in front of my eyes. No, not Vegas shows. Pretty serious stuff. Many things.
    My wife too, on her own., and with me.

It's Derren Brown btw, and it's all an illusion (of course), very slickly done, but all an illusion.

I grow bored of him , off with his head

I've seen things - right in front of my eyes.
    I bet you have young fella me lad, I bet you have - but that's for a different show

At the end of the day, there are many things unknown and potentially unknowable.

However, I view everything with a healthy dose of skepticism, including the wonderment of my own experiences.

It's like faith and religion -- many people are in awe of their faith and religious experiences, and cannot fathom the unbelievers. I have lacked the ability to ever see anything that cannot be proven. And to me, Santa, god, and the paranormal are all equally implausible.

However, that doesn't make them any less real or awesome for those experiencing these things.
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; Feb 18, 2015 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post

Me and Mrs wmw have got into Fringe recently and love Walter.

As for Derren Brown, he's an accomplished entertainer.

If you're interested in this kind of thing check out that guy whose name I forget with the beard who's in a couple of David Mamet movies.

Ricky Jay, that was it

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Fairly sure that however off his face he was, Walter wouldn't get its and it's confused.

10. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    If you're interested in this kind of thing check out that guy whose name I forget with the beard who's in a couple of David Mamet movies.
    This sentence right here was worth coming to this thread!

About the paranormal, I am a disbeliever. That said, there is a Spanish saying " No me creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay."- I don't believe in witches, but there's no doubt they are out there ( non literal translation) . Some stuff I can't explain, nobody can explain. I am a skeptic with a healthy dose of open mind.

I do draw a line though. Everyone that claims that KNOW or MASTER some type of power or whatevertheycallit, I call them quacks. If they knew or understood or mastered, they would be able to prove it, and proof is everything. You can't prove a negative, but a positive is mandatory in my book.

12. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    I've seen things - right in front of my eyes. No, not Vegas shows. Pretty serious stuff. Many things.
    My wife too, on her own., and with me.
    Can you elaborate? A small example?