Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan project- Gold Edition.

Manhattan project- Gold Edition.

I have posted threads about this restoration before but not here at IWL. I know a few members here have already seen it, but since I am wearing it, I thought I might share it's tale.I acquired it when a woman joined the Rado forum looking to sell her father's watches. She was having trouble loading pictures. One thing lead to another and I ended up with this Manhattan. There had been some debate about the authenticity of the rust suede dial. I thought that I would only be able to use the watch for parts.

Dirty, scratched, tarnished and there seems to be ruboff on the edges of the links and on the case.

It's even dirty inside the case. On the other hand- The presence of the good/evil original Manhattan gasket seems to put to rest the question of whether or not the rust dial with crystal markers is authentic. It also bodes well for the As1859 inside.

The bracelet is dirty. It is stiff and seven links are actually seized, so I took every single link apart and cleaned them.

After cleaning. While it was apart I also polished the centre portions.

The cleaning solution and rag after.

The case cleaned but otherwise untouched.

A light sand and polish reveals one of the sharpest Manhattan backs I've yet seen. While it is still scratched the previously invisible Ref number revealed itself: 11819.

The sanded and polished signed crystal looks near mint with razor sharp bevels and even compound curves. The good/evil Manhattan gasket has kept the dial in mint condition and the Swarofski crystals glittering. The polished case is sharp and all the case engraving is still clearly readable.

The results after seven hours, some bourbon and some crazy dub-reggae.

The reassembled three row,with a couple of links added. I love the lug ends.
    I believe this watch is all original and without ruboff.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Feb 19, 2015 at 03:08 AM.

Savagely Average
    That cleaned up fantastic!!!

3. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Amazing transformation!

5. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    It's always fun to read your rehab stories, Henry, even a second time around! That dial is remarkable.

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    NICE! Great work, Henry!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

9. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I see what you did there with the thread title.....I see it

11. Likes Henry Krinkle, thewalrus liked this post
    Impressive results, Mr Krinkle.

13. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Great Job--- again!!!
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

15. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    A rebirth
    Congrats Mr Krinkle
    You gave a 2nd life to this watch
    "chirp, chirp"

17. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Wow.... A beauty unleashed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post