Another super pocketwatfch

From my archives.

Name:  Waltham PW Face.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  Waltham PW Mvt A.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  93.4 KB

It's hard to beat an 18s, 21j PW, unless of course, you are going snorkeling.

Dan

I for one would be delighted to read simply anything you want to tell us about this. When made, how it fits into the history - even stuff about what size it is - I'm sure I can't be the only person here who admires PWs but is still pretty clueless about them.

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I for one would be delighted to read simply anything you want to tell us about this. When made, how it fits into the history - even stuff about what size it is - I'm sure I can't be the only person here who admires PWs but is still pretty clueless about them.
    I'll be happy to comply, but give me until tomorrow. Work has not been all unicorns and rainbows and I am soothing my injured whatever with a martini and hand-stuffed olives. But I have my reference book here and will get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers!

Dan

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The pocketwatch is a American Waltham pocketwatch made somewhere in the 1905 - 1907 range. The model number is 1892. It is an open face lever set movement. As you can see, it was adjusted to five positions. The name Vanguard on the watch designates a different grade of the model number. Waltham would often chose the names of board members, company investors, or other prominent individuals. It simply meant that it had a different level of finish.

The Vanguard 1892 model in 18s was their highest grade watch. Variations do abound as it can be found with 19, 21, or 23 jewels. The 22nd and 23rd jewels were used in the mainspring barrel if memory serves me correctly.

I would note that this particular pocketwatch is railroad grade, but I've not been able to determine if was railroad approved.

I would note that the case was a replacement. You can see that there are impressions from the case screws from a different movement.

I'll close by adding a picture of the movement after I serviced it. I amped the light a little to show off different parts of the finish.

Cheers!

Dan

Name:  WalthamV_G.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  86.8 KB
    Last edited by Dan R; Feb 21, 2015 at 06:34 PM.

Er, 18 plus 5 plus 30 all over 30 equals 1.767" is about 45mm. So for the watch overall about 55mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    The pocketwatch is a American Waltham pocketwatch made somewhere in the 1905 - 1907 range. The model number is 1892. It is an open face lever set movement. As you can see, it was adjusted to five positions. The name Vanguard on the watch designates a different grade of the model number. Vanguard would often chose the names of board members, company investors, or other prominent individuals. It simply meant that it had a different level of finish.

The Vanguard 1892 model in 18s was their highest grade watch. Variations do abound as it can be found with 19, 21, or 23 jewels. The 22nd and 23rd jewels were used in the mainspring barrel if memory serves me correctly.

I would note that this particular pocketwatch is railroad grade, but I've not been able to determine if was railroad approved.

I would note that the case was a replacement. You can see that there are impressions from the case screws from a different movement.

I'll close by adding a picture of the movement after I serviced it. I amped the light a little to show off different parts of the finish.

Cheers!

Dan

Name:  WalthamV_G.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  86.8 KB
    wow that's sexy lol
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

A few Waltham 1892s on UK ebay as the moment - all around the £300 mark

Blog Entries
    Er, 18 plus 5 plus 30 all over 30 equals 1.767" is about 45mm. So for the watch overall about 55mm?
    I don't have my calipers with me, but it is a little over 2", so 55mm would be very close.

Dan

11. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    A few Waltham 1892s on UK ebay as the moment - all around the £300 mark
    Seems to be close to that in the US ebay as well. The time stamp on the TIF of that photo was 2003. I think paid around $275 then.

Dan

Savagely Average
    Gorgeous timepiece, and the movement finish is very impressive! Thanks for sharing some detail also!