Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another super pocketwatfch

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    I don't have my calipers with me, but it is a little over 2", so 55mm would be very close.

Dan
    That's quite a carry-able size - is 18s the size the market likes the most? ie do larger more unwieldy PW tend to cost less, irrespective of equivalent quality?

Beautiful. Love the art-deco look of the dial and hands.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Love that dial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    That's quite a carry-able size - is 18s the size the market likes the most? ie do larger more unwieldy PW tend to cost less, irrespective of equivalent quality?
    That is a tough question to answer. To listen to the "experts", the 16s is the most desirable.

To be honest, once the machinery caught up to the ability to downsize, you could get as an attractive looking 16s as you could with an 18s. Personally, I like the 18s as the balance wheel is on the plate as opposed to in the movement on a 16s. And I am bad about buying Hamilton display cases which have a glass on both sides. You can't bottle up that look, really!

As for costs, I did a quick run down of the Waltham Vanguard 1892 and my most favorite 16s pocketwatch, the Hamilton 992B. At least in the US eBay, the prices were within 25USD. In the distant pass, like 15 years ago, the 16s held a premium. That edge seems to have vanished a little.

Of course, your mileage may vary based on make, model, and year. I found some of the 12s Hampden's to be just little gems. Those, sadly, seem to go for less.

Hopefully, that helps,

Dan

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post