Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here it comes- Are things ever going to be the same?

I use Apple products and like them, but I have no interest in this one. Why do we need another ancillary device that still requires you to have an iPhone? I think things like this and Google glass are baby steps towards things in the future that basically become implants, but that's a ways off.

I do think that they will sell as a replacement or substitute for things like Fitbits, especially if the next generation (coming in a year or so to a store near you...) gets thinner and more wearable. But until a device like that can actually replace your cell phone, I don't think adoption rates will rival those of cell phones.

Of course, for those of us who are (real) watch lovers, it's a moot point. However, it could very well decimate the $200-400 quartz watch market over time...

2. Likes Seriously liked this post
    No I won't be strapping one on my wrist, though I do enjoy may Apple products. I just don't need another something that needs nightly charging lest it won't work the next day. Especially something with yet a different charger system to it.

I own automatic watches and I like it that way. There are days I wish for less communication not more. People expect instant enough responses nowadays as it is with email, text and telephone in everyone's pocket or purse. Thanks but no thanks.

Will it affect me or the types I watches that hold my interest? Unlikely.

Will it affect a segment of Quartz and/or fashion watches? That category should be more concerned than any other.

4. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    I'm going with no and no.
    Yup and yup!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Here it comes- Are things ever going to be the same?

Yes and sort of, but only for certain times. I've been Apple all in for about four years and really like the health, running, heart rate and messaging options of the watch. I current use a Fitbit so this will replace that.
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 21, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I have pocketed 2 smart phones and dont need the third device strapped on my wrist...

i'd rather enjoy my 'old fashioned' way to tell the time... i have plenty of options in my collection already anyway hehehe...

no i wont get one.

I think we're talking apples and oranges. As cool as smart stuff is, I don't think those of us into watches are likely to replace our classic mechanicals with yet another screen of text.

I'd be more concerned with smart-watchers starting to like real watches and the added consumption increasing prices! :-p

Blog Entries
    I don't care about this, I just want them to come out with a new iPod Classic.

10. Likes whatmeworry, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    I think that a lot of people who do not currently wear a watch will start wearing the Apple watch. I also think this will be the first big nudge of smart watches into the market. Its probably not going to change people perceptions around here but i'm not so sure it isn't going to have a big impact on the broader community.
    I'd agree with that. I think a lot of people who don't wear a watch will buy one. Clearly it will become the most popular wearable device pretty quickly and it may even become the best selling "Watch" in its price bracket.
    What I also predict is that a lot of the people who buy one won't wear it for that long.

Not getting one. Absolutely zero interest. That said, I have several friends who do not wear watches yet they are absolutely giddy about getting their (what appears to be IMO) silly looking Apple Watch. Here is where it gets interesting... In the process of their incessant prattling and ardor for their future George Jetson purchase, attention inevitably turned to whatever was on my wrist. What followed was their appreciation of my "traditional" watches. To think, not too long ago they didn't even notice I was wearing a watch, let alone care about what kind of watch it was. Now, I get, "So what are you wearing today?" Their one and only watch will likely be the AW, but I see a very real possibility of the AW increasing the non-WIS interest in what is on someone's wrist, particularly in the US.
    Last edited by Roller.959; Feb 21, 2015 at 01:33 PM.

13. Likes 93EXCivic, igo69 liked this post
    I prefer the LG G watch R form factor.

I really like the integration of health monitoring on these devices. The future is bright for these smart watches IMO as new storage and battery technology comes out.
    Last edited by peacemaker885; Feb 21, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
    seiko · orient · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · suunto · steinhart

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/