Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How a project starts...

How a project starts...

I was just having a relaxing fish through the back end of ebay looking for a watch case for a friend, among other things, when I noticed this sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Si...item1e9a1b32df

I was almost immediately struck by the case on the left - this one:

It's a classic case shape and that bezel is way beyond lush, especially if it just happens to be a twisty 24 hour bezel of a Thunderbird style

Now it's pretty clear that the movement is foxed, most of the hands are missing and the crown is no more, but look at it; It's utterly beautiful. More to the point, it has rather a lot of surface wear, taking it to that random wabi patina that is almost a finish in itself. However, the numbers are not worn in the slightest and are in as good or better a condition than the metal around them. It's too much to hope for, but well worth a punt that they are beautifully mounted ceramic and that takes that case somewhere very special indeed.

The dial may well be fine, but what I can see doesn't look half as nice as the case and that leaves my options wide open. I'm just a bit excited!

Watch this space...

2. Likes Chase, Der Amf, popoki nui, Henry Krinkle, Uber liked this post
    Love it!

Looks to have lots of potential. Good luck.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I feel your excitement! Good luck with the resto.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

I'm going to be seriously impressed if you make a wristwatch out of that - and I hope you do.

Blog Entries
    Oh he will. I have no doubt of that. I'm anxious to see it develop. The numbers look painted, but I don't think they can be and still look that good. You'll have to let us know.

We should do a naming contest for it when it's done.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I'm going to be seriously impressed if you make a wristwatch out of that - and I hope you do.
    Sadly I have previous on this sort of thing.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/pro...ex-233285.html

It might be a year or more but I generally get there in the end. I'm thinking diver style. I also note that the shot movement is an 11.5 ligne and significantly thicker than a 2824 before you even get to the movement ring, so that gives me a wide range of options. Those numbers look very Omega to me...
    Last edited by Matt; Feb 21, 2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sadly I have previous on this sort of thing.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/pro...ex-233285.html

It might be a year or more but I generally get there in the end. I'm thinking diver style. I also note that the shot movement is an 11.5 ligne and significantly thicker than a 2824 before you even get to the movement ring, so that gives me a wide range of options. Those numbers look very Omega to me...
    If you come on March 1st I shall have to insist you bring that Omelex

It's looking more likely and the Omlex is on the list. Anything else from my carnival of junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's looking more likely and the Omlex is on the list. Anything else from my carnival of junk?
    Small and cute will make OhDark30 happy (and me too tbh)

PS Seikos of any age and style would be guaranteed to find an appreciative audience
    Last edited by Der Amf; Feb 21, 2015 at 04:36 PM.