Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longines Heritage Diver Photo Review

Longines Heritage Diver Photo Review

Over the past several years, the Longines Legend Diver has not only been the best selling watch in their Heritage Collection at Topper Fine Jewelers, it has also been the best selling watch in their entire collection. It is no surprise as this modern adaptation of the early 1960’s Longines Super Compressor has been on some of the watch industry's most respected critics ‘Top 10’ lists. While the Heritage Collection has featured many timepieces dedicated to Longines Military, Aviation, and formal themed pieces, the Legend Diver has stood alone in recent years as the only dive watch. At Basel in 2014, Longines introduced the Heritage Diver as a parallel offering. The Heritage Diver is similar to the Legend Diver, but draws on the later source material of the 1970’s. This post will discuss Longines’ second diver in the collection, the 2014 Heritage Diver.

The Heritage diver uses a cushion shape case, which causes it to wear bigger than a round watch of the same diameter. This is due to the extra surface area of the more square shape. Last year when the similarly "T.V." shaped 1973 Chronograph came out, we compared its 40mm case to the Legend Diver and they felt about the same size even though the diameter was smaller.

The 42mm Legend Diver (left), and the 40mm 1973 Chronograph (right).

Longines lists the The Heritage Diver diver as 43mm, and as would be expected the watch looks considerably larger in person than either the Legend Diver or the 1973 Chronograph. Below are some photos comparing the three-hand model to the Legend Diver, and the chronograph to the 1973.

The 43mm Heritage Diver Chronograph (left) and the 40mm 1973 Chronograph (right). Note the additional crown at the 10 o’clock position on the Heritage Diver. While it appears in a position you might expect to find a helium release valve, it is actually the mechanism for actuating the internal turning diving flange.

The 43mm Heritage Diver Chronograph (left) and the 40mm 1973 Chronograph (right).

The 43mm Heritage Diver (left) and the 42mm Legend Diver Date (right).

The 43mm Heritage Diver (left) and the 42mm Legend Diver Date (right).

Aside from wearing much larger than the 1973 or the Legend Diver, there is a significant difference in the frame of the bezel and the shape of the crystal. Both the Legend Diver and 1973 feature a domed sapphire crystal that rises above the bezel giving a “halo” effect simulating the look of vintage acrylic. The Heritage Diver’s crystal is also domed, but it appears much less three dimensional. This may be because the edges of the crystal are concealed by the multi-faceted bezel ring frame.

Other attributes of the piece also draw on design cues from the 1970’s. The soleil sunburst pattern on the case is similar to Longines own 70’s pieces and the Omega Flightmaster cases. The font, markings, and red on the chapter ring, can all be traced to late 60’s and early 70’s Longines watches. While this sunburst pattern is also on the Longines Heritage 1973, it’s far more pronounced here due to the more expansive surfaces of the case. Its extremely short and thick lugs also help define it as a period piece. Like the Legend Diver, the lume simulates the look of aged patina and is a cream colored Superluminova. As the Legend Diver was updated to feature a rubber strap option, the Heritage Diver’s are available in either a sailcloth strap with a tang buckle, or a rubber strap with a deployant clasp.

The rubber strap is significantly thicker and feels more "heavy duty" than the sailcloth strap. The Heritage Diver strap clasp displays the same "crosshatch" pattern as on the tang buckle of the Legend Diver. It also features traditional dive watch attributes including three micro adjustments and a diver's extension. While you will need a tool to adjust the pin to your micro adjustment of choice, the small space between the three holes makes the strap very adjustable.

Mechanically the watches are consistent with other Heritage models. The three-hand model features the L633 Calibre with 38 hours of power reserve. This movement is based on the same elaborate grade ETA 2824-2 movement found in the Legend Diver. The Chronograph model features the L651 Calibre with a 42-hour reserve which is a modular chronograph based on the ETA 2894. Though Longines does feature a column wheel on many of their chronographs, such as the 1973 chronograph, this model features a standard cam system. Longines does not distinguish between the types in their service pricing. A full service for all modern era Longines chronographs is $385. For comparison, Longines charges $250 for a full service of their three-hand automatic watches.

The Heritage Diver is $2,550 on sailcloth and $2,800 on the rubber strap with deployant clasp. The Heritage Diver Chronograph is $3,500 on sailcloth and $3,750 on rubber strap. Both watches use standard spring bars, and the straps can switched with a strap changing tool. Below are some additional pictures.

The Heritage Diver Chronograph.

The Heritage Diver Chronograph’s minute totalizer subdial.

The three o’clock subdial of the Heritage Diver Chronograph.

The relatively short lug of the Heritage Diver Chronograph.

The diver figure on the caseback is a callback to early Longines Dive watches of the 1960’s.

The lume signature of the Heritage Diver Chronograph.

A Close up of the right Heritage Diver dial (right).

Close up of the Heritage Diver dial (left).

The relatively short lug of the Heritage Diver.

The lume signature of the Heritage Diver.

The tang buckle of the sailcloth strap.

The rubber strap and deployant clasp with an open Diver’s extension. Though shown here on a Legend Diver, it’s identical on the Heritage models.

2. Likes MHe225, Upstate, chicago, spronston, iyonk, Martin liked this post
    Great review as always.

I like the dial and color combo but undecided about the case design compared to the Legend Diver.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I kind of like it and kind of hate it at the same time... def not love at first sight
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

Thank you for the review and pics.

Thanks for the great review and comparison within the lineup. I'd like one of each!

I Like it a lot, just not sure about the straightened edge on the outer bezel
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Quote Originally Posted by chicago View Post
    I kind of like it and kind of hate it at the same time... def not love at first sight
    Same here - I like the dial; I like the hands; I like the minimalist approach on the internal bezel;
    BUT....
    I don't like the case at all, and the rubber strap just kills it stone dead, for me

Don't think I'll ever love it.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

9. Likes chicago liked this post
    I really like the non chrono version... its a great looking - hi quality tool watch... thx for your post!

Yeah exactly... the face is really cool looking, the case looks bulky and awkwardly shaped, and the strap doesn't really match the watch much at all. Overall I'd give it a 5 out of 10 - mostly brand equity from just being made by Longines.

On the flip side, that LLD looks hawt!

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Same here - I like the dial; I like the hands; I like the minimalist approach on the internal bezel;
    BUT....
    I don't like the case at all, and the rubber strap just kills it stone dead, for me

Don't think I'll ever love it.
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

The Heritage Diver is $2,550 on sailcloth and $2,800 on the rubber strap with deployant clasp.
    2800 - 2550 = 250

I'm very ignorant about rubber straps, could someone please talk me through how one gets to be $250?