Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Gifted Affordables

Blog Entries

Gifted Affordables

Oh my, what to do? I have a good friend who is addicted to watches and has a collection that far outpaces mine. Yesterday he dropped by with a cigar box holding 8 watches that he had worn maybe once if never, or had bought on a whim because of a good deal. He gave them to me, and he thinks maybe I would find a good home for them if not for myself. I confess there are a few here I like - the Davosa blue quartz and the Bulova A-15. I might keep those, or at least I might not give them away.) The Orient M-Force diver would interest me if it weren't 45 mm (I wear small watches). The others are not my world.

Ideas? Charity shop maybe? PM me if you might be interested in one. I'll come back here when I have time and try to give a better description of each. Several are quartz fashion watches with one or two interesting features (good chrono movements for example). None are horrible, as far as I can tell. The Armani Exchange is a questionably tasteful clear perspex case and red rubber strap, but it seems OK otherwise. Some batteries need replacing.

Please note - this isn't a sales thread in the wrong place. It's a gift or advice thread that you can take anywhere you wish to go, even if silly. I'm happy to give these watches away, if someone PMs me and wants to pay shipping + trouble from USA. The idea of setting up proper sales threads on WUS or dealing with eBay? Fogettaboutit.

Affordably Yours - Robert

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  84.4 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes theague, OhDark30, Mediocre liked this post
    Blog Entries
    These are the two I really like - Bulova A-15 (not even "affordable" in that sense, with Swiss Mechanical movement and sapphire etc.) and Davosa quartz diver.

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0029.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  42.3 KB

4. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So I managed to give away the Armani Exchange and the Haurex. I might keep the Davosa because it's quite pretty. The Bulova A-15 has a ridiculous retail price of over $1000 but seems to sell around $400-ish, so I'll probably put it on sale for under $300. The Orient M-Force Titanium is a beautifully made thing but unwearable for me at 47mm diameter... apparently it listed for $650 and sold recently for under $200... sounds like another for an affordable sales thread. The others? I dunno.... more gifts.

It makes me ponder how new watches are sold, all the endless stream of generic cheap quartz watches. They have so little value, apart from the simple task of keeping time. Their very existence risks casting doubts upon our mild obsession with classic timekeepers... so many of them just don't really matter. I find that fascinating from a sociological perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    It makes me ponder how new watches are sold, all the endless stream of generic cheap quartz watches. They have so little value, apart from the simple task of keeping time. Their very existence risks casting doubts upon our mild obsession with classic timekeepers... so many of them just don't really matter. I find that fascinating from a sociological perspective.
    well ebay and they always seem to fit in the £20 to £50 slot I found for some does not matter the brand once used even if a week only then it seem half the new price is the norm and that can be a killer ...

some time find it better just to give them away, always seems better then messing around trying to sell it getting lowballed and all that messing around .. yeah lot nicer to gift it I find.

my local age concern as been doing a roaring trade in modern ish fashion ish watches of late since I felt a compelling need to give myself breathing room, still wanting to downsize now over a year in but it's slowly getting harder on choices ...

as it got to the point with some I know it wont go well but just not sure, as won't be fun and yet I want the space too soo catch 22
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes OhDark30 liked this post