Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Wristwatch Question No. 1- How much would you pay for a Quartz Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I agree, but in all my time selling watches, mechanical pieces had a much higher repair success rate than quartz. I could send a 1950 Omega off to be restored and it would come back looking brand new (along with a hefty repair bill), but almost all quartz watches that were say, 20 years old, would be returned to my store with a note attached, saying "unable to repair. Parts no longer available".
    I once asked our watchmaker; " Hey, what's the story with quartz? The movements will burn out in twenty years. Then what?"
    "No matter. They just take out the old movement, slot in a new one and it's good to go for another twenty years."
    However, this would be dependant on the brands holding quartz movements for that long, especially in a time where mechanical watches have regained such a huge resurgence in popularity.
    I'm only speaking of Swiss brands that I sold. I have a feeling that the Japanese brands might do things differently. And, I've been out of the industry three years now, so things may have changed in that time. Perhaps the Swiss brands treat their quartz models with a little more respect these days.
    Who said anything about a Swiss watch? I want this fantasy watch to be a Seiko. All the constituent parts of it are Seiko: the 6M26 movement, the HAQ, the GS case/dial/hands. I can spend the time they're going to take getting it ready for me saving up

2. Likes I-B liked this post
    It'd top out at about $4,000 I'd say

4. Likes Nutty28, Dienekes, Jazzmaster, iyonk, GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I have had quartz in the past (way back in the past) , but I like (love) the thought of something wholly mechanical working away on my wrist doing the same thing.

Once I'd had a couple of mechanicals back in the past I converted to solely mechanical.

Which is why, now, I just wouldn't buy quartz... not for $20, not for anything.

Wrong?.... maybe?... I can't get past it though
    I think I have this but going the other way.
    I have a few ordinary quartz watches already so now I want the more interesting ones, which usually come with a higher price tag.

There are few that are still affordable like the Longines VHP and the Ana/Digi units that the middle market brands all used in the 90s/00s and the 1/1000 unit in the Microtimer is cool too. The Oysterquartz is on the hit list and of course, there is the unicorn of a working original Heuer Chronosplit but neither of those are cheap.

AND that's still just older watches: there are a couple modern/current ones that also fascinate me in one way or another.

These days, given what I already have, I don't see much difference in another 2824 and a quartz module (955 for example)

6. Likes Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I wouldn't waste $20 on quartz
    $19.99 and its yours !!Name:  _DX10067.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  42.4 KB

8. Likes Seriously, Rusty liked this post
    It would have made John Harrison's day to have made a quartz watch.

My spending limit for quartz is index-linked to the Grand Seiko price-list.

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Honestly not much. I know quartz has a lot going for it but honestly the only time I grab a quartz is when I am doing yard work and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

This much worth. It even got a little gold star for being so accurate.

Last edited by FuzzyB; Feb 26, 2015 at 12:38 AM.

13. Likes Domo, Seriously, tribe125 liked this post
    Most of my watches are automatics, so when I saw this for sale in quartz at about $1000 less than the auto version, I jumped on it. It's more a fun/summertime watch than something I'd wear every day, so for me it works. About $1500. I don't know that I'll buy another quartz that's more than a few hundred dollars (I have 2 Wenger Battalion divers, about $100+ each).

15. Likes iyonk liked this post
    I am unwilling to justify spending more than a couple hundred dollars on a quartz. I realize there are some very fine pieces that are incredibly advanced technologically and as well built as their mechanical counterparts yet I still view them as a disposable commodity. Perhaps having seen thousands displayed on the counters of endless 7-11s has negatively colored my opinion.

17. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Apparently around $5000

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424920903.862740.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  72.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424920914.008819.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  57.0 KB

19. Likes Jazzmaster, iyonk, Rusty liked this post