Likes Likes:  124
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G-Shock and your FAV Flashlight...

G-Shock and your FAV Flashlight...

Yeah, i often carry flashlight since i got problematic eyes... I cant see in the DARK! haha =P

i know this forum got low traffic and i just want to share my interest in G and flashlight.. i honestly wish i can see if anybody here also keen with flashlight.. (i know Greg like them and i've seen K&L fav surefire)... so here we go =D

Name:  DSCN9155.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  80.6 KB

I love affordable quality flashlight and INOVA and STREAMLIGHT are some of my fav.. on the left is INOVA X5, its considered outdated by some, but even though its got low lumens (31lumens on hi and 6 lumens on low) its a great area light and have very good battery life... i put the grey one on my studio and use it very often, yet, it still on its original battery from 2011! and still bright =)
    on the right side is the INOVA X1 and Inova XS, its the 55 and 53 lumens (dual power) version.. it small and pocketable... very good compact flashlight with superb built quality.

Name:  DSCN9168.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  85.0 KB

on the left of the mudman G9300 (yeah it's been good so far =) are the INOVA T2 (155 lumens), my fav military inova that got strobe... it has superb beam and good run time since it got 3 mode.
    and the INOVA X2 with 2AA battery (150 lumens), I put eneloop rechargeable on it and got a modded clicky switch instead of twist switch. i used to have also the titanium grey color but gave it to my buddy..
    on the Right side, its a streamlight tactical (130 lumens for 3-4 hours) .. got them on sale and i bought several of it.. give a couple to my good friend and they love it.. i love the beam pattern and its made form very strong re-inforced plastic..
    beside it is my fav traveling flashlight.. a 2AAA streamlight PROTAC.. the 80 lumens is more than enough and it got dual power plus a strobe.. i also put rechargeable eneloop in it..
    when i go to places where i cant bring my spyderco, it put this flashlight instead since it got crenelated bezel.

Name:  DSCN9176.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  92.2 KB

some assortment in size..
    the left one is 4 power hunting streamlight (it has nice low 20 lumen with no PWM and 20 hours runtime, high 120 lumens for throw, 3 green LED or 1 green LED for preserving night vision)
    and yellow one also a streamlight i i use heavily around the house... it has wide beam area light and got long battery life.. i put 4 AA eneloop in it.
    on the right beside the DW-5030D, the small swipe to shine INOVA, it is 16 lumens and use 2 CR2032.. i carry this one a lot.
    beside it is INOVA X03 that use 2 CR123.. used to be my most powerful flashlight in 2011 since it got 200lumens (dual power).. i still like it and even though so much flashlight with high power, 200lumens and a great beam pattern and throw is still very useful.
    the last one on the right, its a BIG rechargeable that got 1000lumens... not a fancy one but surely fun to use =)

Thanks for reading, and i hope i can see others that also like flashlight (and G) in this forum, so i would feel 'normal' hahaha..

have a great day everybody..
    Last edited by iyonk; Feb 26, 2015 at 04:05 AM.

2. Likes Phantasm, Knives & Lint, Greg liked this post
    Since i have many flashlights i cant choose a favorite one.
    But recently i have the most fun with surplus german army lights which i updated to LED.
    They are not the brightest but the most weird and vintage looking ones.

Here is my GW-M5600BC with my latest flashlight, the Fenix PD35 (2014 edition).

It has 5 brightness levels: 14, 50, 180, 460 and 960 lumens.

Name:  IMG20150226090638.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  131.1 KB
    There's nothing important to read here.

5. Likes iyonk, Knives & Lint, Greg, Phantasm liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    Here is my GW-M5600BC with my latest flashlight, the Fenix PD35 (2014 edition).

It has 5 brightness levels: 14, 50, 180, 460 and 960 lumens.
    Awesome combo! and that fenix would be extremely bright at 960 lumens!

most of my flashlight are kindda outdated, to be honest, even though super bright one is very cool, i personally prefer, beam pattern, beam tint and long run time.. =)
    nowdays most of the problem is solved by multi power to preserve battery life... i dont have any fenix in my collection, may be its time to get me one of that someday haha..

thanks a lot for sharing Colin!

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Since i have many flashlights i cant choose a favorite one.
    But recently i have the most fun with surplus german army lights which i updated to LED.
    They are not the brightest but the most weird and vintage looking ones.

Its surely looking Vintage! very cool mac!... could you please tell me more about it? what's the power source, how long the runtime or the story about it / when it was issued?
    thx a lot for sharing d2mac...

The flashlight is one of several very similar designs all made of sheet metal since WWII (and probably also before).
    In older years they where powered by 3R6 flat 4,5V zinc-carbon battery packages (which had almost no capacity...).
    Later the design was adaptet to 2x D size (like my example here).
    My Version is made in the 80s and features green and red filters plus a slit-type camo-light, like found on Military vehicles too.
    I also own a 70s design with somewhat different layout but same functionality. I can post a Picture of it later.
    It was issued to land Forces "Heer" and can be found in almost every vehicle and in the possetions of a sergant and above.
    When i was in the army we had to Train repairing trucks in the camo-light of this poor torch.
    The bulb was a 500mA 2,4V bulb which then gives around 10h of light from an alkaline D-Cell.
    I replaced it with a E10 thread LED drop-in with claimed 1W. I which i had this years before when i tried to exchange a wheel on an Unimog in the mud at night.
    There are Versions with other filter colors which are used by other german forces like Luftwaffe.

I think in the US the TL-122 had the same intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Its surely looking Vintage! very cool mac!... could you please tell me more about it? what's the power source, how long the runtime or the story about it / when it was issued?
    thx a lot for sharing d2mac...

9. Likes iyonk, Greg liked this post
    my one and only flashlight ( Dynamax), i use it every day in rough conditions, so it looks rugged. I have it for over 3 years now...
    Name:  output_zpsq5mcragt.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  70.2 KB
    Last edited by I-B; Feb 26, 2015 at 01:05 PM.

11. Likes iyonk, Knives & Lint, Greg, Phantasm liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    The flashlight is one of several very similar designs all made of sheet metal since WWII (and probably also before).
    In older years they where powered by 3R6 flat 4,5V zinc-carbon battery packages (which had almost no capacity...).
    Later the design was adaptet to 2x D size (like my example here).
    My Version is made in the 80s and features green and red filters plus a slit-type camo-light, like found on Military vehicles too.
    I also own a 70s design with somewhat different layout but same functionality. I can post a Picture of it later.
    It was issued to land Forces "Heer" and can be found in almost every vehicle and in the possetions of a sergant and above.
    When i was in the army we had to Train repairing trucks in the camo-light of this poor torch.
    The bulb was a 500mA 2,4V bulb which then gives around 10h of light from an alkaline D-Cell.
    I replaced it with a E10 thread LED drop-in with claimed 1W. I which i had this years before when i tried to exchange a wheel on an Unimog in the mud at night.
    There are Versions with other filter colors which are used by other german forces like Luftwaffe.

I think in the US the TL-122 had the same intended use.
    excellent info! thanks a lot d2mac, i really appreciate... what a cool piece you got there =)

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    my one and only flashlight, i use it every day in rough conditions, so it looks rugged. I have it for over 3 years now...
    Name:  output_zpsq5mcragt.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  70.2 KB
    so, no back up flashlight and no plan to upgrade? hahaha... just teasing you buddy.. i luv to see that flashlight got plenty of use and love ... =)
    thanks for sharing IB!

14. Likes I-B liked this post
    Ah, another topic dear to my heart. Great thread Iyonk.

I have a few different lights of various brands and outputs but for this thread I'll focus on my EDC flashlight, The Surefire Aviator LED with red secondary output. For those not familiar with this model, it has a low intensity red beam for preserving your natural night vision while still providing enough light for most tasks. Then, if you depress (or screw) the tailcap fully, it has a high intensity white beam that is more than sufficient for lighting up areas as you would use a typical flashlight.

Once you get used to having the red light it is hard to live without. It allows you to see everything you need to see, and doesn't announce your presence to the entire world, plus has the benefit of not dilating your pupils allowing you see much better in the dark. I like it so much that I have since purchased red flip up filters for most of my other lights, and even replaced the dome lights in my truck with red LEDs. It is no wonder that pilots and military have used this method for years, and I have recently even noticed that police cars in my area are starting to use red interior lighting.

Here's some shots of it with my G's. You'll find it in many of my G-Shock pics along with my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit, as they are always in my pocket.

Here's the only other flashlight I have photographed with my G's. Its a Streamlight Sidewinder and it has red, green, and blue secondary outputs. This is a great little light as well.

16. Likes iyonk, Greg, Phantasm, konafan liked this post