Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complications you can live without

Complications you can live without

I've been working through my collection over the last few weeks and as a result on a number of days I've been wearing a simple no date 3 hander. What the experience has made me realise is that for normal everyday use that's all I need. All the complications and features I consider when buying a new watch don't actually add a huge amount of value in practical terms. What matters most is whether the watch makes me smile when I look at it.
    These are all the things I've found the lack of doesn't bother me one iota:
    Date
    Day
    Lume
    Timing bezel
    Chronograph
    COSC accuracy (or indeed accuracy better than +/- 2 mins a day)
    Anti reflective sapphire crystal
    Steel case

Thinking about it the complication I find most useful is one that few of my watches have, a countdown timer for cooking and Pomodoro.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well for the day to day yes probably the same maybe a day and date as one is getting forgetful in one's old age now where was I oh yes so less is more in the day to day for me got this on.. so this sort of watch type is a daily wear watch for me
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Don't need:
    Day
    GMT
    Chrono
    Power reserve
    Day/night indicator, or,
    Moon phase.

Definitely need:
    Lume (i wake early and check the time using the lume only)
    Date (can't live without it)
    Timing or countdown bezel (use them constantly)
    Water resistance (my watches get wet)

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Double flying tourbillon

Expensive brand name
    There's nothing important to read here.

Women .............................................

................................... only sometimes

moon phase is the least useful to me. most other ones I can point to at least as "hey this is neat right?" but moon phase nobody seems to care about, including me.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoLunch View Post
    moon phase is the least useful to me. most other ones I can point to at least as "hey this is neat right?" but moon phase nobody seems to care about, including me.
    Both Islamic and Judaic calendars follow moon phases, in both instances the first sighting of new moon is the first day of the new month. Since there are over 1.6 billion Muslims, I'm going to guess that there's at least a few people who like their watch indicating where in the lunar month they are.

Also: werewolves

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Both Islamic and Judaic calendars follow moon phases, in both instances the first sighting of new moon is the first day of the new month. Since there are over 1.6 billion Muslims, I'm going to guess that there's at least a few people who like their watch indicating where in the lunar month they are.

Also: werewolves
    sure. to clarify, Nobody I know seems to care about. Werewolves notwithstanding....

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I do not need any complication, including a central second hand. I often prefer the minimalist versions. Then again, I like to own all sort of complications, where the minute repeater (mechanical) and related sonneries will be quite unobtainable...

14. Likes rfortson, MHe225 liked this post