Likes Likes:  191
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you getting serviced?

This.

Have this for over ten years. While it's keeping good time, I don't plan to push it. This is a keeper - that is, my wife is keeping it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes happyscrappyheropup, CFR, Mediocre, iyonk liked this post
    Not serviced, but an Oris is in for new hands and bezel insert. I would tackle this myself if it was a cheap seiko but worried about my own ability whilst not having the right facilities.
    I also have a cheap seiko in with the Oris to have a new chapter ring fitted. I really should learn how to do crystal changes myself, in order that I can do that myself next time.

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I just sent three off for service:

Waltham model 1857 Wm. E. Ellery produced in 1869
    Waltham model 1870 P.S. Bartlett produced in 1871
    Waltham model 1877 William Ellery produced in 1874

Do you think it was time to have them serviced? Or, should I have waited awhile? All are "key wind/key set".
    No batteries required. All in coin silver or sterling silver cases. First two are openface - the last is a full hunter.
    I suppose this was "Waltham week". RealSoonNow, I'll get to the 20th century. Unless something from the Civil War period becomes available.
    It may be quite some time before my (arriving soon) Ebel 134 and 1955 Pobeda Petrodovich (both clearing customs in NYC as I type) get to the front of the queue.
    Last edited by KennethRSloan; Mar 16, 2015 at 03:11 AM.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Savagely Average
    I need to go drop off both of my Oris watches & the old Globa I acquired in a recent trade. Next ones to come up will be the Nivrel & the Fortis.

My Rolex came back from ABC Watchwerks just a bit ago. Haven't worn it yet, though, because putting the bracelet back on is a bitch.

This one's been in for a bit. Hope it's back within a month or so . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I spent the early part of my collecting days buying from Tourneau, mainly pre-owned. So I use their Long Island repair shop to service those watches about the time the warranty is running out. I had my father-in-law's IWC Mark 16 serviced last year (this was my gift to him on his 80th birthday); unfortunately it was returned to me with the hands misaligned and had to go back again but now it is done. I just returned my IWC Spitfire chrono for its 3 year service. I was informed Tourneau will likely send this back to IWC in Switzerland for a full disassembly, case polish and new strap, rather than do this in Tourneau's shop.
    Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 85
Size:  83.8 KB

As you know, I buy a lot of Ebels new (or NOS) from the Movado Stores (MGI), which come with a 3 year warranty. About 50% of these need some kind of immediate attention for timekeeping or cosmetic problems, so I send these straight to Mov-spa-do in New Jersey. MGI have been great about doing everything under warranty, with great communication along the way and returning the watches within a month (the one exception was a Sportwave 500M diver which needed parts from Switzerland and took 3 months). I just got 3 watches back in the last 2 months and currently have 2 other watches there - so I've been keeping them busy! I can thoroughly recommend them.
    Name:  1911 front.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  65.8 KB

My Invicta ProDiver stopped running after 7 years so I sent it back to Invicta, who did a full service for free! This was 2 years ago and it is still running great +/- 1 second/day! Invicta detractors, eat your words.
    Name:  P1050696.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  38.7 KB

Finally, I am lucky to have a go-to watchguy operating out of Sears at my local Mall. Luckier yet I discovered him when I naively took my Grandfather's 1945 Omega bumper for repair (second hand did not move), cleaning and a new crystal. He did a fine job at a reasonable price, although it did take a long time. I didn't understand the risks of using an unknown repairer (esp. in the Mall!) so I was very lucky to find such a pro. He also serviced the Ebel vintage watch I bought recently.
    Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  29.9 KB
    Last edited by WWII70; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

That IWC is lovely, what's the model? What is the case diameter (assume it is smallish, if this is your wifes)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    This.

Have this for over ten years. While it's keeping good time, I don't plan to push it. This is a keeper - that is, my wife is keeping it.....

Last edited by WWII70; Mar 17, 2015 at 02:38 AM.
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

11. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    That IWC is lovely, what's the model? What is the case diameter (assume it is smallish, if this is your wifes)?
    Thanks for the compliments.

It is IWC ref 3531, and if j am not mistaken, it uses a JLC 892/1 movement, though IWC has made modifications.

The case diameter is 35mm. I actually bought this watch for myself. But over the years, I am one of those who have been influenced by bigger watches.....and my wife took the opportunity to move it to her watch box.

Looking at this positively, the watch now has more wrist time, got her (slightly) interested in watches (she now has 6 watches, though 2 of which were from my watch box), and the best part, I have a good excuse to find a replacement., even though I do at times sneak it out from her box and wear it for a day or two......what more can I ask for.

13. Likes WWII70, JAGtime liked this post
    I bet it looks great on you. 35mm should be within range unless you have bear paws. My two vintage pieces (1945/6 Omega and 1960's Ebel) are both 34mm and I wear them regularly.

Enjoy (and congrats on converting your wife - she is now IWC positive).

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    The case diameter is 35mm. I actually bought this watch for myself. But over the years, I am one of those who have been influenced by bigger watches.....and my wife took the opportunity to move it to her watch box.

Looking at this positively, the watch now has more wrist time, got her (slightly) interested in watches (she now has 6 watches, though 2 of which were from my watch box), and the best part, I have a good excuse to find a replacement., even though I do at times sneak it out from her box and wear it for a day or two......what more can I ask for.

15. Likes Nutty28 liked this post