Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outerwear. What'chya got?

Outerwear. What'chya got?

For years (decades in fact), I've tended to favor military inspired, or actual military issue (when possible or practicable) outerwear, especially here in out Michigan Winters. My reasons are that they tend to provide good value and great design. They've typically been designed at great expense to be practical and perform as needed, and to be robust. In the past, I've owned M65 field jackets in black and cammo (never OD Green, maybe that's next?) with the liner, very versatile.

And flight jackets, I have CWU 45 and 36 in Nomex, though those don't fit anymore (put on too much weight, need to lose it!). Also have worn out many MA1 flight jackets over the years (both green and black). These were genuine issue products too, and were perhaps the most susceptible to wearing out of any USGI jackets I've owned. The collars tended to roll, pill and wear. Somewhat true with sleeves as well.

In high school, I wore a knock off of the "snorkel parka" N-3B (parents didn't want to spring x 2 $ for the real deal, and it was a decent knock off). My current season (the last several, these things last quite some time) has me in a USAF issue A2 goatskin flight jacket in moderate temps and a USN issue (same manuf. though not sure if they are even issuing them anymore) wool pea coat for harsher conditions. I also currently have 3 MA1 jackets I wear (black, green and tan). But these are not USGI, they were a special run, all embroidered with Operation Iraqi Freedom tributes on the back. Purchased these at the PX in Baghdad when I was there as a civilian contractor working on the US Embassy.

These military styled garments are not meant by me to be a fashion statement (not like they and my hairstyle- a pony tail or unbound long hair naturally "go together"), but simply a function over form thing. Have to admit still, that I do like the look, just a side benefit of their utilitarian nature IMO.

So, what do you go for? Camel hair over coat? Trench coat (love those, lost one recently.... another story!). A Columbia, North Face or other modern civilian utilitarian jacket or coat? Or??? What'chya got?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Right now (bought winter before last) I got a North Face KnuckleDown ski jacket for winter - mainly cos it's awesomely warm

550fill down, like a neon blue inner , I love it when it's cold, pockets every where, powder skirt, arm pit zipped vents.

Name:  Knuckle+Down+Jacket-1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  55.1 KBName:  Knuckle+Down+Jacket.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  81.9 KB
    (Although I'm better looking than him)
    Last edited by Seriously; Feb 28, 2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo

3. Likes CamB, T Bone, JAGtime, gnuyork liked this post
    It doesn't get as cold down here during winter as some of you experience but I love my duffle coat and puffer vest.

Name:  6cb686c1fa3b1577e3ea91b4a83345f4.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  7.1 KB

Name:  mens-downvest-black_1.1415549943.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  49.4 KB
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

5. Likes T Bone, JAGtime liked this post
    Received a Carhartt jacket for Christmas. I really like it, real warm and tough. I'll be wearing it for many years to come.

7. Likes T Bone, JAGtime liked this post
    Can anyone explain why I and I suspect many of you get more excited about buying outerwear jackets than any other article of clothing?
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

9. Likes T Bone, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Can anyone explain why I and I suspect many of you get more excited about buying outerwear jackets than any other article of clothing?
    I get cold and wet when I go for a walk in the woods in lingerie?

So I wear one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timberland-J.../dp/B00P9ZXJGS

Generally, I wear a Guernsey underneath unless it is cold in which case I build up layers of technical fleece.

11. Likes T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    No , It's just you Cam

13. Likes T Bone liked this post
    I tend to like Navy Peacoats.

Name:  1073356.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  18.6 KB
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

15. Likes Jeannie, T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I tend to like Navy Peacoats.

Name:  1073356.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  18.6 KB
    I want to like navy peacoats. In fact I love them but I look a tw*t wearing one :-(
    I wear Paramo for hill walking in foul weather,
    Berghaus paclite jacket around town, and either my Barbour Stanley 4oz blazer

Name:  barbour-stanley-jacket.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  33.1 KB

or in colder weather my Barbour Lutz 8oz

Name:  I_201218624_01_20140814.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  27.5 KB

I sweat like a pig in both if there's the slightest exertion so these are not really functional coats.... form over function... :-)
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

17. Likes T Bone liked this post
    I have more coats than I care to admit, and I love them all. I have a several waterproof shells for rain, skiing, and similar outdoors activities; fleece jackets, a grey flannel blazer, a navy peacoat, a navy full-length wool overcoat, I even have a trench coat but I almost never wear it. Interestingly, no leather. I also have a crap-ton of running shells. My most favoritist jacket of all, however, is my jean jacket, which is older than my marriage and I've been married for 21 years. It is faded and ripped in the cuffs and I wear it every chance I get.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

19. Likes Teeritz liked this post