Likes Likes:  115
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody have some hard to find watches?

Hybrid View

Anybody have some hard to find watches?

I hesitate to use the word rare since that sounds like a Simplicity or Red Sub. Still, I've got a few cheaper watches you don't see very often. I'm going to get a lot of milage out of this baby today: It's part of the reason for my "What to do?" poll, now it's here and eventually it'll make its way into the WRUW thread.

Oris Divers Date:

Name:  TEST 8.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  99.1 KB

There are tons of Divers Dates but I've only seen this blue jewel-like dial posted once or twice and never for sale (save this one I bought). Every other blue Oris I've seen has a wave or carbon fiber dial. I took it one step further by having the seconds hand painted red but that's cheating. Since I'm color blind I can barely see it now...my wife tells me it looks good though.

Edit: It's either Leap Year or I forgot to change the date.
    Last edited by ljb187; Mar 2, 2015 at 03:09 AM.

Yes, me!

for example :
    Name:  20140114_160839_zps3diwfdpi.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  18.4 KB
    only 500 where made, and the watch nearly bankrupted Bulova. It uses bodyheat vs suroundingtemperature to power the warch
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by I-B; Mar 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    Yes, me! Only 500 where made, and the watch nearly bankrupted Bulova. It uses bodyheat vs suroundingtemperature to power the warch
    Ok, unless I'm missing something somebody has to make that movement again. It's sound weird and fascinating.

4. Likes I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Ok, unless I'm missing something somebody has to make that movement again. It's sound weird and fascinating.
    actually, it sucks, i have to jumpstart it every time i want to wear it, but they sold the rights and it's still made...
    http://www.crazywatches.pl/bulova-2467-thermatron-1982

They are now called STW thermatron instead of Bulova thermatron

6. Likes rfortson, popoki nui liked this post
    Many of my vintage Rados were made in numbers ranging from 500- 2500.

8. Likes JAGtime, rfortson, scottjc liked this post

Anybody have some hard to find watches?

actually, it sucks, i have to jumpstart it every time i want to wear it, but they sold the rights and it's still made...

Does yours still work? I've heard most of them sat too long and won't start up again. It kind of dampened my desire to find one knowing that it would be a longshot to ever get it working again.

My hard to find watches are the ones lost somewhere in boxes in my house. I have a few Swatches somewhere around here that I haven't been able to find for a few years.

My hardest to find watch was the RGM TZLE. They made less than 49 of them. Of those 49, there were three rotor variations. It took me a little while to find one. And then another.

And still yet another.

It's best not to ask.
    Last edited by FuzzyB; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Does yours still work? I've heard most of them sat too long and won't start up again. It kind of dampened my desire to find one knowing that it would be a longshot to ever get it working again.

My hard to find watches are the ones lost somewhere in boxes in my house. I have a few Swatches somewhere around here that I haven't been able to find for a few years.

My hardest to find watch was the RGM TZLE. They made less than 49 of them. Of those 49, there were three rotor variations. It took me a little while to find one. And then another.

And still yet another.

It's best not to ask.
    I thought you only had two.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    It still works perfect, but from what i have learned there are less than a handfull functioning Thermatrons worldwide. Tough reviving one isn't that hard if you are a bit of a tinkerer and own the proper tools...

12. Likes FuzzyB liked this post

That is so cool. I've heard the Thermatron name, but I never knew how the watch worked. Thanks for the info!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

14. Likes I-B liked this post
    Like that Oris. I've seen that steel bezel before but not the blue dial. I had a date diver with graphite wave dial on it and a smooth steel bezel and liked it too. Haven't seen another same as what I had but I by no means consider it rare. I do have a Maldives now but a limited edition run of 2000 pieces hardly qualifies.

In fact I'm not sure any of mine qualify. Have a few you don't see too often, but can be had at an AD so am sure that disqualifies them. Looks like my collection isn't as interesting as I'd thought it to be