Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw one of these at my favorite local watch store Saturday...

Saw one of these at my favorite local watch store Saturday...

Name:  Gruebel-Forsey-GMT-Platinum-03.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  113.5 KB

(Borrowed picture)

So, I was at the store, chatting with the assistant manager, who is a watch lover as well, and he said, "wait, I've gotta show you something." He disappeared, and came back with this.

It looked absolutely outrageous, but not as unwearable as I would have expected. The globe is undoubtedly wild, and actually rotates to show the current time zone. There is also a world time ring on the back. The tourbillon is a multi-axis one, which is very cool to see.

It had been ordered for a customer of the shop (platinum version, of course), for a cool $650,000.

While I would never ever want one, even if I were a zillionaire with money to burn, it is still an amazing piece of artistry and a mechanical accomplishment of significance. The pictures don't do it justice, it's not as large as it looks here (actually only 43.5mm), and the finishing is extraordinary, as you would expect.

More info if anyone is curious: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/just-be...e-pics-pricing

P.S. No, I didn't get to try it on or even handle it, it was safely ensconced in a clear plastic case. If I were buying something like that, I wouldn't want anyone else touching it, either...
    Last edited by mlcor; Mar 2, 2015 at 03:47 PM.

2. Likes popoki nui, FuzzyB, OTGabe, JAGtime liked this post
    Pretty cool! A bit gaudy for my tastes, but interesting nonetheless.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

That would be an awesome sight to behold. I always thought that globe was a cool touch. It conveys all the information more cleanly for the size it takes than would a tiny dial with a few city names on it.

At that price, I would have been glad to only look and not touch. I couldn't afford any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That would be an awesome sight to behold. I always thought that globe was a cool touch. It conveys all the information more cleanly for the size it takes than would a tiny dial with a few city names on it.

At that price, I would have been glad to only look and not touch. I couldn't afford any mistakes.
    No kidding! I was reluctant to even hold the box, but curiosity won out and I did. There is also a little window on the side so you can see the side of the globe...

6. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    I think haute horologie (horlogerie?) needs to be seen in person to be judged. The UL Freak, Urwerk pieces and Christophe Claret are pretty ugly in pics, but fascinating in the metal. I mean they're not exactly pretty, but their wow factor outweighs the ugliness I found.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes Hayseed Brown liked this post
    Is there really a watch in there....?

I agree with Geoff, that in person they are probably a masterpiece of individual craftsmanship, but in pictures most of them make my eyes hurt......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

True enough. The local store, funnily enough, does have a Freak there, too. For me, it's in the same category of "I can appreciate it, but wouldn't want one."

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    True enough. The local store, funnily enough, does have a Freak there, too. For me, it's in the same category of "I can appreciate it, but wouldn't want one."

Where the hell do you live...??

The Freak is Freakin' awesome!
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy G-Schlocks.

Okay..., Charging Paddles... CLEAR!! BZZZZT... Another Thread Revived!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹
    I'm Just Here For The Comic Relief. Nothing I Do or Say Needs to be Taken Seriously.

Chicago area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$650.000!!!!

now, how many seiko and casio i could get for that kind of money...