Likes Likes:  170
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leather Goods Thread

Blog Entries
    You can probably see the slightly darker spot, which I hope lightens up with a little time:
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes Spooky, FuzzyB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    That's amazing!

(Now I want one )

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    That's amazing!

(Now I want one )
    Totally worth it. Make sure you get the right size for your needs and you’ll never have to buy again. Also, the 100 year warranty is fully transferable, so the secondary market is always a viable option.

Some good deals right now too, a lot of models were just discontinued, including my satchel, which was an excellent value for money.

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  45.8 KB

Unhealthy obsession with Leather you say? $25,000.00!

https://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-coffin

7. Likes uchinanchu, rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  45.8 KB

Unhealthy obsession with Leather you say? $25,000.00!

https://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-coffin
    That’s a bit much. Especially seeing as I’ll never have use for a coffin anyway.

9. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    That’s a bit much. Especially seeing as I’ll never have use for a coffin anyway.
    Fair enough. Lol

But can you say where you found your bag secondhand? I might have to explore this option.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough. Lol

But can you say where you found your bag secondhand? I might have to explore this option.
    I search for them two places. One is a Facebook group called Saddleback & Other Leather Buy/Sell/Trade. It's a closed group, but all that means is that you have join, answer some questions, and then get approved--as far as I can tell, as long as you're not a commercial seller, you'll be approved. I think my membership was approved within 10 minutes. Another is eBay--that's where I got this one (for almost $200 off new MSRP). I always check eBay in multiple search strings. Saddleback, Saddleback Leather, Saddleback tobacco (or whatever color you want). This one didn't have the color in the description, but I know tobacco when I see it.

The Facebook page is a good place to learn about the differences, just through sale posts. People will talk about the logo changes and the color changes and the lining changes (tobacco, for example, used to be a lot lighter, and its pigskin lining used to be slick; from pictures, it looked more football like, but the ones I have are almost suede-like, soft to the touch).

I find eBay prices tend to be a little on the high side for the market. I'd been watching auctions for a few weeks before I got this, and I saw almost all of the ones I had been watching end up being relisted at a lower price. Mine was listed at $400, but through the make offer function, I negotiated it down to $340--I felt like I probably could have gotten $5 or $10 more off, maybe, but it was the color and bag I wanted, so I didn't want to waste my offers on haggling over $5. You also see some speculators on eBay--they'll try to sell a discontinued bag for well over MSRP. I've seen some discontinued small and medium satchels going for far more than a brand new large satchel costs. I'm not sure how many people have such limited carry needs that they'd pay $600 for a $350 bag rather than buying a larger, more practical bag for $450. The Facebook group tends to be more realistically priced, but of course it's a smaller pool of sellers (you can also post WTB and see if you get responses, I see that all the time).

One issue is the FB group is heavy on acronyms--some of which are forced upon them (FB sometimes disallows for sale posts with the word "tobacco" in it, so it's been shortened to TB), some of which are confusing. "DCB" is Dark Coffee Brown. But to my knowledge, there's also a color Saddleback sold its bags in called Dusty Carbon Black. Head scratcher, that one. But you see a lot of people who are obsessed with the bags to the point that they buy new ones when they don't need them and then sell the old ones, so there's a steady stream of products available. And, I'll keep my theories to myself on this one, the group tends to attract a lot of nice, helpful people. I've posted a few questions and I've gotten some decent help--not perhaps always exactly what I've been looking for, but good enough that I was able to learn some stuff. The biggest issue I've found with the group is that it looks like SOP to ask for Paypal friends and family (basically the new gift feature). I'd gladly pay 3% for the safety of being able to dispute the charge with Paypal.

Also, if you find something you like and you want to see if the price is strong or soft, you can always ask me. I'm happy to help get people into these bags. Demand seems to be waning a little, so now seems like a good time to buy. A few years ago, you'd see a 3-4 year old bag going for $50 less than a new one. Now they're more reasonable.
    Last edited by Raza; May 10, 2018 at 03:10 PM.

12. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Which version of the satchel do you have? I would love to get a new bag for work, but need to figure out the right size. I was poking around in their website last night and ended up ordering a new wallet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Which version of the satchel do you have? I would love to get a new bag for work, but need to figure out the right size. I was poking around in their website last night and ended up ordering a new wallet.
    I have the satchel they just discontinued (I believe limited stock is still available), which was called the large satchel when they sold multiple sizes. It’ll hold a 13” MacBook or similarly sized laptop, it’s about 4” deep, has two interior slip pockets, and two exterior water bottle pockets (that need a little stretching if they’re going to fit anything bigger than a 16.9oz water).

https://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-satchel

Mine is tobacco. On my way to the gym right now, but I can snap a few photos for you when I get home. I was planning on conditioning it this afternoon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I have the satchel they just discontinued (I believe limited stock is still available), which was called the large satchel when they sold multiple sizes. It’ll hold a 13” MacBook or similarly sized laptop, it’s about 4” deep, has two interior slip pockets, and two exterior water bottle pockets (that need a little stretching if they’re going to fit anything bigger than a 16.9oz water).

https://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-satchel

Mine is tobacco. On my way to the gym right now, but I can snap a few photos for you when I get home. I was planning on conditioning it this afternoon anyway.
    Thanks! That one looks great. I have a 15” MacBook Pro, which might be a little big for that one.

Which leather colors do you have from them? I like the looks of the tobacco but the chestnut may also work if it isn’t too dark.