Likes Likes:  141
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The life less lived?

The life less lived?

What's the point of it all? Work, sleep, die? Work less, have less, but live more? Has anyone here actually quit the so-called rat race? Conversely, anyone suddenly find one day their ambition level exploded and they just decided to work 24/7 to see how far they could get? What do you think/do/long for?

I've done both and am trying to figure out what I really want. I've had the life of Reilly and I've worked my tail off for 'rewards'. Both have their ups and downs, I think.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Likes Seriously, Chronopolitano liked this post
    Yes, 10 yrs ago decided to make a change.
    I was separated 18 months and going through difficult divorce when I met MrsO . We met on holiday and lived a complicated life trying to date while living between 3 different cities. We decided that if we were going to make a go of our relationship we had to change something.
    I had sold my first business and decided to sell the second and make a fresh start. MrsO asked if it had to be in the UK, an associate position was advertised and we came out for interview and decided to give it 2 years.
    We moved here in 2005 with a 10 week old baby and faced lots of challenges.(there is a whole other conversation about crap bosses )
    10 yrs on we have 4 children, our own business and a good life style.
    I work 8-4 Mon-Thurs, 8-2 Fri, 9-1 Sat. We make decent enough income, would probably be more in USA or UK but don't pay income tax.
    It is the life that keeps us happy here, it is like living in a small village, lots of sports and activities for the kids to do. For example my eldest does steel drum, chess club, soccer, hockey, clarinet and can sail a Pico on his own and wake board.
    MrsO and I have a good social life, and the beach and ocean are beautiful.

Downsides - have to travel to shop, import duties mean shop prices are high, it is a very small community and run by an even smaller group.
    We have questions about schooling for the children as they reach teenage years but the last decade has been great.
    I have no desire to move away for Turks and Caicos but want to encourage my children to eventually seek out the wider world.

Anyone want to try island life I recommend it, want to try here drop me a line (as long as you are not a dentist - I get enough of those enquiries already )

Mark
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Blog Entries
    I've worked very hard. I'd get up at 4AM, run two miles, go to work at 6, and work from 7AM to 8 or 9PM, drive home, go to sleep, and do it again. When the hard work, effort, and quality of work didn't get me ahead, I let it slip, still putting in 50 hour a week at minimum. I hated it. I hated my job, I hated my bosses, I hated my life. Every minute of it. I lost the will to work out, spend time with friends, anything. I just wanted to spend all my time on the sofa. For a while, I drank to pass the time, but after a while, I even stopped doing that. It seemed pointless.

I knew my time was up when I stopped getting angry about stuff at work. I was just sad. Sad all the time. Sure, my personal life hasn't been exactly stellar for the last 15 years or so, but I usually was able to keep pushing through. But I was crushed significantly in the soul-area. Then, after a while, I wasn't even sad about shit at work. I just didn't care. What was I doing it for was a common question. I wondered why I worked so hard to get no enjoyment out of my meager personal time. I wondered, perhaps arrogantly, what impact I'd had or might have on the world.

So I quit. Best thing I ever did. Quit my job and decided to pursue my passion. I'm now in school to become a lawyer, and while I'm busier than ever before (well, perhaps excluding that year that I was getting up at 4), more tired than ever before, older, grayer, and more tired (really, very tired, that's why I mention in twice), I can't even begin to explain how much happier I am. I enjoy things. I enjoy the company of friends, I enjoy my classes, I enjoy my classmates, I find life just isn't so bad--sure, it's not great, since my personal life is still in a big commode-alternative hole, but I'm in a much better place. It was the change I needed.
    Now, I can't go and say everyone who hates their job should up and quit. I had some savings and a family that was willing to support me while I'm in school (l live with my brother for free, my mother helps financially). But it was right for me.

Will things change in two and a half years when I'm actually a lawyer and back in the working world? Maybe. But I have scraped together just enough optimism that I can dare to hope it won't.

But, this thread comes at an odd time. I just found out a former coworker, younger than I, died on Sunday, drowned with his brother, cousin, and cousin's wife, while on vacation. I didn't know him too well, but it was still a jarring reminder that life, while the longest thing we do, is still criminally and sometimes tragically short. Too short to hate what you do for the majority of it. Because sometimes tomorrow is just another promise that goes unfulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Sure, my personal life hasn't been exactly stellar for the last 15 years or so
    I've been there, my life changed for the better at the age of 37, since when I have remarried, had 4 more children and found a way to be happy in myself and with others ( obviously with 1 major exception who I choose to completely ignore)

If it feels it could be right just go with whatever it is.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

6. Likes M. Montaigne, Bwana liked this post
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; Mar 5, 2015 at 03:36 AM.

8. Likes is that my watch, Seriously, MarkO, igo69 liked this post
    I spent a lot of time and effort obtaining educational credentials that I've never used. Out of university I decided to try and work for myself and have not looked back. I have several sources of income, and no clingy debt: just the mortgages. I outright own an acreage in absolutely beautiful country. I've had the idea that I'd retire by 45, comfortably. That's less than a decade from now, and I have an infant. So, not so likely anymore. Maybe 50. I like the work that I do, but I'd prefer to be completely free.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

I would have wanted to join the rat race, but couldn't even figure out where the starting line was.
    And by the time I found it, the race had already started.
    And if I tried to join another race, I was usually disqualified for wearing the wrong outfit, wrong papers, etc.

So I finally said, "F it."

Now I make children to sell.

Hey, don't judge. I got mouths to feed and watches to buy.

Sometimes, I wish I could find a quiet coastal town and run away from my commitments but its not going to happen. At 48, having almost seen off my older children, I'm starting again with a younger partner who wants more kids and also has a 5 year old. I will be working at what I do for a long way ahead. I can handle that though. I have to admit that there are things that are starting to irritate me about my work and thats not great when you need to stay on for a long time further than it could have been but they are the choices one makes.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

This is a timely thread. I work in sales so money is very important to me. I'm in the office 9-5 Monday-Friday but don't work outside of that. My commute is pleasant and my job isn't stressful. The wife and I are very adept at spending every penny we earn on holidays, food, drink, watches...and I feel I could definitely use more cash/a new job. Now I could go work a power job in London and earn twice my income but that would be stressful. Someone on here who has a good job and lots of nice watches recently said they haven't had a proper day off in a few years which made me think hard about that. I guess what would be wise is to do it for a year, but a second house, rent it out, rinse repeat?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Retired 10 years ago at age 58 and haven't looked back. For inspiration have a look here:
    http://simple-living-in-suffolk.co.uk/
    or here if you are hardcore:
    http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

14. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post