Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics added - Used watch arrived with multiple flaws - who pays return shipping?

Unhappy Pics added - Used watch arrived with multiple flaws - who pays return shipping?

I recently bought a used watch off the old site and it arrived with what I view as considerable flaws. The main problem is one of the screws holding in the wire lugs spins but does not come out. Their is also a gap between the case and case back and small spec under the crystal. I've never had to return a used watch and paying for door to door tracking internationally isn't cheap. Given the undisclosed flaws in the watch is it fair to ask the seller to absorb the return shipping cost?

Thank you for your opinion!

*Edit: I have not contacted the seller yet. I thought I would gather opinions first.

Update #1
    The seller offered to send me a strap that doesn't fit the watch in question and suggested I wear the watch now and sell it at a later date. I let him that would not work for me for me. With the time and money required to have the watch repaired it makes more sense to send the watch back and receive a refund. I'll let you know what he says.

Update #2
    Again I politely explained the repair costs would cost half of what I paid for the watch and that I would be better of buying it new at this point. Additionally, I would take a huge loss selling the watch given it's flaws.

The seller responded that some transactions exceed our expectations and some do not and that he has never been compensated when a watch did not. His offer of the "virtually unworn strap" was to "sweeten" the deal. The strap he was offering doesn't even fit the watch in question which is probably a good thing because I can't change the strap with the stripped screw! He closed by offering to provide some other WUS members names who expressed interest in the watch.

I replied that I purchased a used watch not a damaged watch and that I don't know how he could over look all the flaws but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I am asking him to make it right and issue a refund or I'll open a Paypal claim.

Update #3
    Seller said he's not in a position to issue a refund and suggested I sell the watch and move on. I opened a Paypal claim.

*Pics added below

Paypal Update
    I received an email from PayPal yesterday that I'm eligible for a full refund including the return shipping costs! I would have been really bummed if the one time I needed PayPal they didn't come through. The refund is extra nice when the seller
    John Hall-Kenney WUS member thehappycamper was such a bum!
    Last edited by Perseus; Mar 17, 2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: PayPal update

Maybe have the seller split the service costs ?

3. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Were the pics in the ad taken in a way to hide the flaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Maybe have the seller split the service costs ?
    A little more background...new the watch would cost about $550 and I paid $350. If I have to put some money in it I'd rather return the watch and buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Were the pics in the ad taken in a way to hide the flaws?
    Pics did not show the flaws and their was no mention of the stripped screw.

I'd ask that they pay the return shipping. Although I think PayPal expects buyers to pay return shipping if the item isn't as described.

if the payment was made thru PayPal, and not gifted...it (shipping) should be on him, he should have fully disclosed condition.

I'd send it back, he eats the charges for being a DB seller.

9. Likes Chase liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post

I'd send it back, he eats the charges for being a DB seller.

Yes sir
    I'd send it back for that reason alone!!
    Last edited by watchdaddy1; Mar 4, 2015 at 03:27 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Yes, he should pay the return shipping if the flaws weren't disclosed. Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't notice the issues, but they're still his responsibility. I've been on both sides of the equation, and that's how it's always been handled.

Poor form- of course he knew. He should pay.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1