Likes Likes:  12

View Poll Results: What to do?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better safe than sorry - I'm keeping the rare one.

4 26.67%
  • Like canned beans in the store I can't decide which one to pick.

5 33.33%
  • Keep the common one because I'll wear it more.

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A watch in the box is better than one on the wrist.

A watch in the box is better than one on the wrist.

Say you've got two watches in your collection - they're both fine watches but neither is a priceless classic - and one must stay while the other must go. You like them both but you're sure you like one one more than the other. The only problem is that the one you like less would be very hard or next to impossible to find again. Would you ever be able to let the rare one go?

You've been looking in my watch box again huh ?

I have a ton of pieces with the same problem, I'm going to flip a coin and call it good.

3. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Similar issue here. A watch I used to love but has fallen out of favour somewhat and I hardly ever wear it. I should sell it but they don't come up for sale very often and I wonder if I'll regret it. OTOH it's just sitting in my box and I think it deserves to be worn. Poor thing. I'm wracked with guilt.

5. Likes ljb187, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Similar issue here. A watch I used to love but has fallen out of favour somewhat and I hardly ever wear it. I should sell it but they don't come up for sale very often and I wonder if I'll regret it. OTOH it's just sitting in my box and I think it deserves to be worn. Poor thing, I'm wracked with guilt.
    We should talk Glenn, maybe a trade of "forgotten children" ?

7. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    You've been looking in my watch box again huh ?

I have a ton of pieces with the same problem, I'm going to flip a coin and call it good.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Similar issue here. A watch I used to love but has fallen out of favour somewhat and I hardly ever wear it. I should sell it but they don't come up for sale very often and I wonder if I'll regret it. OTOH it's just sitting in my box and I think it deserves to be worn. Poor thing. I'm wracked with guilt.
    You know what would be great? If a bunch of people who have hard to find watches got together and tried to swap them out. Getting rid of something might be less painful if you could replace it with another of its kind.

9. Likes GlennO, FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    You know what would be great? If a bunch of people who have hard to find watches got together and tried to swap them out. Getting rid of something might be less painful if you could replace it with another of its kind.
    That would be interesting. We are a widespread bunch though. We would have to throw them into some kind of virtual pot.

No wear = c-ya! So i voted option 3.
    The c-ya's have cost me a small fortune untill now, but hey, better to have loved and lost than just dead money sitting on the bank

12. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Mentally, I'm a just get rid of it if I'm not going to wear it type of guy. Emotionally, I have a hard time getting rid of them. Even the ones that aren't rare and irreplaceable.

In the end, I end up with a lot of watches that I can't decide whether or not to part with. Once I reach a tipping point, I have a big sell off and get rid of a bunch at a time. Unfortunately, I tend to acquire a few new ones during that time to replace the look or function of those departing. And the vicious cycle starts again.

I am currently (feet dragging all the way) in a sell off stage, which included the sale of my only GMT watch. So what do I do but buy another GMT to fill the void. It's like giving something up without really giving it all the way up. I'll probably sell off that GMT soon because I don't like it as much as the original GMT I sold. Baby steps.

14. Likes I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    An online swap-and-shop here on IWL would be great!

I voted "Keep the rare one". Being rare, it will only get more rare with time, and likely increase in value. I've sold off too many rare ones over the years; I'm wracked with regret over most of them.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

16. Likes Chase liked this post
    I would keep the rare one until my OCD kicked in and I felt the need for a flip.......sad.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx