2. Likes crownpuller, scottjc liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    spas·tic

adjective

relating to or affected by muscle spasm

noun

a person with cerebral palsy.

When I was at school Spastic was commonly used as an insult, it was so widespread that the Cerebral Palsy charity changed their name from The Spastic Society to Scope. Now it seems that the word has been reclaimed by medicine and not used so much as an insult (unless anyone knows different) . Now you refer to someone as a suffering with Cerebral Palsy as that exactly and not a spastic.

So words can be reclaimed and not lost to just being insults.

There seems to be a need now to use the correct medical diagnosis and name rather than describe some one by their visible symptoms. So dwarf is correct and midget is pejorative.
    I'm often confused by the midget/dwarf situation, but I do know that they don't like when you call them "half person" or "short ass".

(Only written for comedic offense...I've never used those terms towards a dwarf/midget, and I am legitimately confused about the PC term, unless we are talking about the MG Midget)

I don't have too many problems with swearing (don't let my kids hear this ) but I don't like cursing. I find it offensive and unneeded, even though I'm not religious myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I don't have too many problems with swearing (don't let my kids hear this ) but I don't like cursing. I find it offensive and unneeded, even though I'm not religious myself.
    Can you explain how you see swearing and cursing differently? In the US, the two terms are largely interchangeable.

6. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm often confused by the midget/dwarf situation, but I do know that they don't like when you call them "half person" or "short ass".

(Only written for comedic offense...I've never used those terms towards a dwarf/midget, and I am legitimately confused about the PC term, unless we are talking about the MG Midget)
    Dwarfism is a correct medical term and ok to use as long as they are actually a dwarf and not just short.
    Midget is no longer acceptable to use.

If you read any Tom Sharpe the term PORG is also not allowed.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Can you explain how you see swearing and cursing differently? In the US, the two terms are largely interchangeable.

Swearing is bad language, cursing is using spells - I think that's right
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

9. Likes Jeannie, Raza, Nokie, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Ok, I think the two dutch terms are more distinctive than the English versions. With cursing I mean that it has religious content, usually includes God
    So when I hit my head I will probably say something like sh*t, f*ck or some dutch version of it, but no g*dd*mn related cursing. This because it will offend people, who are not the reason of me hitting my head. Unless that was an act of God of course

I also do not like swearing that includes terminal illnesses

I think there is a difference to hit one's head and swearing it is reaction and with out thought.. we all do it... but to use it in general conversation disrespects the person you are talking to. it is done to shock and offend the person you are speaking with ..

there is no need to use expletives they are there to offend pure and simple vulgar language is that vulgar. and I find if you have to resort to it in conversation you have all ready lost. I try to respect people I don't like to swear and the people I chat to on here on threads or in private will say that. so to respect people and there point of view it would never enter my head to use foul words in chat it serves no really purpose other then as I said to shock and offend
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

My wife doesn't like it when I swear in front of her....... I keep forgetting when it's her turn
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

13. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Blog Entries
    On the one hand you guys are arguing that language matters. On the other hand, you are arguing it doesn't. What you all really seem to be saying is that your view of language matters and anyone who doesn't share it is somehow oversensitive. Which is a pretty passive aggressive position.

Not swearing in public is about respect for the differing sensibilities of the people around you. It's that simple.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Mar 5, 2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

15. Likes is that my watch liked this post