Thread: Swatch vs. Richemont

Swatch vs. Richemont

Interesting article.

https://deployant.com/mid-term-analy...-vs-richemont/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

2. Likes morningtundra liked this post
    Interesting read, makes me want to buy from independent brands only as the whole scene seems to be so "artificial".
    Thanks for sharing .

Sent from Arrakis using Spice Melange

4. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    It is interesting, and it’s recent enough to include the purchase of Watchfinder, which I mentioned the other day.

If Watchfinder’s business remains unaltered, Richemont will be making money from selling Rolexes - both used and effectively unused. Together with other brands, of course, but Watchfinder sells more Rolexes than anything.

Alternatively, or additionally, Richemont now has an alternative to buy-back.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

So, basically, they took a one-time hit during good economic times in order to reduce excess inventory on the street and throttle the gray marketers, making them in better shape for a macroeconomic downturn. Sounds like a smart strategy to me. Then by acquiring Watchfinder it also gives them more visibility to the secondary market. Still sounds smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but could they not price fix the market using watch finder ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Influence and seek to protect but not fix, probably, and they’d have to establish Watchfinder in more markets.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    but could they not price fix the market using watch finder ?
    At least in the US, it isn't an antitrust violation to agree upon prices when the parties agreeing are controlled affiliates of each other. In other words, if Richemont owns and/or controls Watchfinder, the parent company can legally dictate prices to be charged by Watchfinder.

A more interesting question is whether the acquisition itself could be viewed as anti-competitive. My guess is that the combination of market share of Richemont and Watchfinder isn't enough for the case to be made. And that's assuming you could convince a regulator that the market for new and pre-owned watches was one big market.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    At least in the US, it isn't an antitrust violation to agree upon prices when the parties agreeing are controlled affiliates of each other. In other words, if Richemont owns and/or controls Watchfinder, the parent company can legally dictate prices to be charged by Watchfinder.
    yes this was what I was thinking so if they was force to set them high, one no one would buy them but they could market it as... it keeping it's value over time.... and also the factor that if set to high some might think for that price I will pay the ££ more and have a new one ...

we have all done it seen something set at a price you think "your joking at that price I will buy a new one with a warranty" ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    we have all done it seen something set at a price you think "your joking at that price I will buy a new one with a warranty" ?

But a lightly-used and Richemont-tested Richemont watch with a Richemont warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    But a lightly-used and Richemont-tested Richemont watch with a Richemont warranty?
    to be fair not a richemont followers so not sure .... and don't think I could afford one of their straps let alone a new or used watch from them just seems a bit off still
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy