Likes Likes:  88
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ONLINE persona?

Hybrid View

Question Your ONLINE persona?

Ever think about how electronic strangers see you?

We read about how people on Dating sites lie / exaggerate all the time in presenting themselves.

But what about on forums? People are not "presenting" themselves in any way to be contacted, but end up offering a "presentation" of themselves anyway one way or another.

Even if you are being frank, and think you present yourself as you are (or think you are) in the real world, you can still come off to others as being a person you may not recognize as yourself.

People see what they want to see.

How different or similar is your real (face to face) persona from the one you put forward on chat sites?

I think I am still me, right down to my picture as avatar. Being self employed and as I already use a website and Facebook to promote the business I don't have to hide as a lot is already deliberately out there.
    I do understand the position taken by some where they want or need to stay more anonymous .

Also, here in a small community you can't be anonymous in daily life and you get used to that.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    How different or similar is your real (face to face) persona from the one you put forward on chat sites?
    Surely, the only ones who can answer this, are those who know 'you' from both
    I can't say how others perceive me..... apart from not being a dentist, obviously
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Ever think about how electronic strangers see you?
    But what about on forums?
    You are the schmucky one with the scary avatars right?
    Just kidding

I only participate in one forum and that's IWL. IMO all people here are "the real deal". Back in the old place that was not the case. A lot of noobs and fakers would lie about what watches they have, use pictures from the web and brag about owning a multi-million €/£/$ collection. Mostly they did not knew the value of the watches they claimed to own.

I remember one particular (funny) case of a member who owned about every expensive watch possible, and when he got asked for pics he "borrowed" a JLC reverso wristshot from Uhrforum.de. When the mod confronted him he got extreme angry...
    Also funny were the people posting wristshots of fake Omega's, Rolex's, PP and so on. They all have one thing in common, when they get unmasked, they become verbal agressive and abusive...

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    A lot of noobs and fakers would lie about what watches they have, use pictures from the web and brag about owning a multi-million €/£/$ collection. ... They all have one thing in common, when they get unmasked, they become verbal agressive and abusive...

Wha... Why do people do this?
    I mean, I know they do it, but why?

I can't get my head around the psychosis. What the heck is going on in their minds?

6. Likes I-B liked this post
    I'm as real as the forum rules will allow me to be, so maybe a bit more subdued here...but I am as real as the keyboard will allow.

I don't understand the double identity trend, why bother to be someone you're not ?...just to impress some strangers that don't know you anyways ?...it's a waste of time & life is short. I feel sorry for people who's lives are so shallow, sitting in their basement in the tidy whiteys playing people.

I'm who I am, love me or hate me...life moves on.

8. Likes is that my watch, MarkO, Teeritz, Moroz liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I'm more open, honest, and truthful here than in real life.

But I do swear less.

lol I have enough trouble being one person having a double identity seem like a lot of hard work for nowt haha ..

I am me sorry folks it tis true but I am happy with myself on the whole so I have accepted me as me so that's what you get.. here ...there... wherever... is it then least you will know where you stand with me. I call an orange an orange so you get the truth I may and try and word it nicely but least you know were you stand love me or hate me least you know that about me and I love cookies well I am mad for cookies haha
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

11. Likes Bwana liked this post
    At the gtg, everyone was pretty much as advertised
    Though Colin63 looks nothing like Johnny Depp (wrong shade of guyliner
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

13. Likes Der Amf, I-B liked this post
    I am just about the same, although I shy away from posting details about myself, such as pictures.