Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Calling all techs

  1. #1

    Calling all techs

    Hey Cats,

    Have the opportunity to add a Bulova Oceanographer to the collection. However there's a problem with it, the crown is so tight that out can barely be wound let alone pulled to set the watch. Not something I've seen before so I ask.... what could be causing this issue? I may be trading a slightly superior watch to the Oceanographer so I want to be sure I'm not ending up with an expensive to fix dud.

    Here's a pic of the movement:



    Peace,
    Preston

  2. #2
    I had this on an old cheap watch.
    Turned out the mechanism had turned so stem was being forced against case tube.

  3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
  4. #3
    Could the seal in the crown be damaged so that it is rubbing against the crown tube.

  5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
  6. #4
    MWC is that my watch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    came for a look stayed for the biskwits
    Posts
    31,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Hey Cats,

    Have the opportunity to add a Bulova Oceanographer to the collection. However there's a problem with it, the crown is so tight that out can barely be wound let alone pulled to set the watch. Not something I've seen before so I ask.... what could be causing this issue? I may be trading a slightly superior watch to the Oceanographer so I want to be sure I'm not ending up with an expensive to fix dud.

    Here's a pic of the movement:



    Peace,
    Preston
    Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    I had this on an old cheap watch.
    Turned out the mechanism had turned so stem was being forced against case tube.
    does look like the stem is not complete centred but that could be the angle of the pic but it would be one idea another is the ratchet cog may have slip so it is not running free ..

    or all it could need is the stem being removed and re set have had one that played like that it was a vostok so I took it out the case and tried it it work fine so put it back in the case and it has worked fine

    I would say it could be over wound but that would not effect the setting the time so it has more I would think to do with the stem then the movement does it look like the stem and crown has been replaced ?
    one night I dreamed I was locked in my fathers watch, with Ptolemy and twenty one ruby stars mounted on spheres and the primum mobile coiled and gleaming to the end of space and the notched spheres eating each other's rinds to the last tooth of time and the case closed - John Ciardi ...

    https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    http://wristwatchreview.co.uk/

    ЖИЗНЬ НЕ ОСТАНАВЛИВАЕТСЯ, ПРОХОДИТ ТОЛЬКО ВРЕМЯ.
    Russian Watches



  7. #5
    Thanks everyone, I'll update if I make the trade. I'll also update with regards to what the problem was/is.

    Peace,
    Preston

  8. #6
    Another Member crownpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    4,486
    Sounds to me like someone has forced in an over-sized stem. Either that or there's some gunge in the stem tube.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

  9. #7
    Making the trade tonight. Standby folks if you'd like.

    Peace,
    Preston

  10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
  11. #8
    It was just a dirty seal, cleaned and lubed it now it's working perfect while still water watertite.



    Peace,
    Preston

  12. #9
    It looks fantastic - you can't go wrong with a half Damien Bulova.

  13. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It looks fantastic - you can't go wrong with a half Damien Bulova.
    Thanks but you lost me lol

    Peace,
    Preston

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us