Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What watch would they take to colony Mars?

What watch would they take to colony Mars?

I now a Mars-day is shorter than a Earth-day, but recalibrating-issues aside, what would be the ideal Mars watch? There are plans to start a colony there, so a watch (to keep in pass with earth) should meet specific requirements.
    IMO it would be a solid solarpowered watch. Mechanic's need maintenance and quartz need battery's, so the logical thing would be a solarpowered watch, or am i wrong?

Name:  234230.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  65.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    I now a Mars-day is shorter than a Earth-day, but recalibrating-issues aside, what would be the ideal Mars watch? There are plans to start a colony there, so a watch (to keep in pass with earth) should meet specific requirements.
    IMO it would be a solid solarpowered watch. Mechanic's need maintenance and quartz need battery's, so the logical thing would be a solarpowered watch, or am i wrong?

Name:  234230.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  65.0 KB
    I don't think that necessarily follows.
    I read an interesting novel called Containment recently about a colony on another planet (forget which). Time measurement was controlled by a central computer in the colony (which was of course extremely accurate) and everything (computers, watches, life support systems, etc) was linked to that. In a nice twist, several of the characters wore mechanical watches which, because they were completely independent of the computer, could be used to make sure its timekeeping hadn't gone awry because of a virus of malfunction.

3. Likes I-B, OhDark30 liked this post
    According to this the Martian day is slightly (2.7%) longer than earth's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars

I wonder if the sun's strength would be sufficient for a solar watch, though bright artificial light might be enough anyway. If not, I imagine kinetic would be a good choice and it may not be too long before true atomic wristwatches are available.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    According to this the Martian day is slightly (2.7%) longer than earth's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars

I wonder if the sun's strength would be sufficient for a solar watch, though bright artificial light might be enough anyway. If not, I imagine kinetic would be a good choice and it may not be too long before true atomic wristwatches are available.
    A while ago someone (i think it was Geoffbot, but i'm not sure) posted a "atomic" watch here, i believe it was the first in it's kind and i think it's for sale allready, but it's a butt-ugly piece...

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    A while ago someone (i think it was Geoffbot, but i'm not sure) posted a "atomic" watch here, i believe it was the first in it's kind and i think it's for sale allready, but it's a butt-ugly piece...
    It's a Bathys I think

It's Mars; so it follows you'd have a martian watch:
    Name:  Martian.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  33.2 KB
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes Bwana, is that my watch liked this post
    How's the cosmic radiation and temperature variations on Mars? In outer space, quartz watches die quickly..

Pretty sure it will be the special Mars limited edition Speedy, the one with the red dust dial. What, they don't have one yet? Just wait...

11. Likes I-B, geoffbot, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Pretty sure it will be the special Mars limited edition Speedy, the one with the red dust dial. What, they don't have one yet? Just wait...
    Oh snap!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

13. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    According to this the Martian day is slightly (2.7%) longer than earth's? ...
    Well then..., that's hardly worth mentioning.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy G-Schlocks.

Okay..., Charging Paddles... CLEAR!! BZZZZT... Another Thread Revived!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹
    I'm Just Here For The Comic Relief. Nothing I Do or Say Needs to be Taken Seriously.