Likes Likes:  115
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just how fickle are you when it comes to your watch collecting/buying?

Just how fickle are you when it comes to your watch collecting/buying?

I'm so bad it saddens me deeply. I go through periods of frenzied acquisition of affordables and then love the variety, then decide I need to focus and that having so many watches I rarely get to wear any single one is silly. I then sell a load off and buy something nicer. Then find I miss a few of the ones I've sold and either pine for them and /or buy them again. Then decided my collection lacks variety and buy a load more cheap ones. Then....
    Well you get the idea, I can't seem to break this cycle.
    I'm doing a complete rotation at the moment of my 50 odd watches because many of them had been worn only a handful of times and some had never been worn. At first I loved the variety, but now I'm thinking 'wouldn't it be better to have a couple of £500 watches than 20 £50 ones.

In short, I hate myself.

well I'm sorta am the same up to the point that I hardly ever let any go again lol got watches I bought when I was 15 lol .I tend to gift my un wanted then sell feels wrong to me to sell them yeah weird I know but giving them to people who need a watch seems right and to be honest any that am giving away I would probably not get much for so it's not worth the trouble haha . but I am at the minute sorta wanting a new watches but just can't seem to find any thing that grabs me by the well you know where haha
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes popoki nui, whatmeworry, pepperami liked this post
    I'm just a complete horology tart. In between buying stuff I'm interested in or stuff I rationalise as being a project, I'll just buy anything at all if it is cheap and pretty/interesting/old/ etc etc. I literally have boxes full of what can be called watches only because there is no better word for them. At heart I am little more than a horological landfill site.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm just a complete horology tart. In between buying stuff I'm interested in or stuff I rationalise as being a project, I'll just buy anything at all if it is cheap and pretty/interesting/old/ etc etc. I literally have boxes full of what can be called watches only because there is no better word for them. At heart I am little more than a horological landfill site.

You paint a completely different 'getting right on with it/watch this space' picture in the actual project threads sir !!!

I feel violated and let down, coupled with a feeling of relief that you're not actually making us all look not worthy

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I'm so bad it saddens me deeply. I go through periods of frenzied acquisition of affordables and then love the variety, then decide I need to focus and that having so many watches I rarely get to wear any single one is silly. I then sell a load off and buy something nicer. Then find I miss a few of the ones I've sold and either pine for them and /or buy them again. Then decided my collection lacks variety and buy a load more cheap ones. Then....
    Well you get the idea, I can't seem to break this cycle.
    You've pretty much summed up nicely the last 45 years of my watch addiction. Although for about the last half of it, I haven't really sold anything off: I've traded lots, and given many away, but always managed to end up with more in spite of that. I am completely, utterly, hopeless. And in good company, evidently!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

7. Likes is that my watch, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    You've pretty much summed up nicely the last 45 years of my watch addiction. Although for about the last half of it, I haven't really sold anything off: I've traded lots, and given many away, but always managed to end up with more in spite of that. I am completely, utterly, hopeless. And in good company, evidently!

~Sherry.
    It's a hard habit to break isn't it. Even if you don't wear them they're just so darn wonderful.

9. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    It is an insatiable hobby/pass time/obsession.

I often feel it's a hankering to the child within me, an irrational want for silly measuring devices, maybe even a crutch to the prop up the expected maturity that befell me a few years back! Maybe the constant accuracy brings an order I feel is missing from other aspects of my life!

There's only one way to sort this. .I'm off to ebay to buy a tan leather strap for a watch I think needs 'freshening up'

11. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime, Fox Covert liked this post
    I wonder if people who are more fickle tend to be more (or less )sensitive to aesthetics in general?

Or are they just less sure of what they want?

We all have seen people whose large collection consist almost entirely of the same kind of watch - same color (usually black), type (usually diver), etc. Just different straps.

I have more than I really should, but I really see my watches the way I see books - things to look at and study.
    Sure, I get tired of some designs, but I rarely sell them as I want to keep them around to really understand why some designs work and some don't.

13. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    You paint a completely different 'getting right on with it/watch this space' picture in the actual project threads sir !!!

I feel violated and let down, coupled with a feeling of relief that you're not actually making us all look not worthy
    Ahh, you misunderstand me. That one is something special and I posted it as a project because that is what it is...

What you have missed is the dozen or so utterly crappy watches in between that don't get mentioned. In fact, checking on ebay, that was one of twelve watches that I acquired in February and not one of the fourteen I purchased in January.

So there's no need to feel violated or let down. Frankly, the fact that I spend far too much time messing around with inconsequential dross is not a cause for feeling less worthy. I just have box after box of dubious crap leavened with Smiths, Seiko and Omega.
    Last edited by Matt; Mar 6, 2015 at 10:13 PM.

15. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    It's a hard habit to break isn't it. Even if you don't wear them they're just so darn wonderful.
    I know, right? Sometimes I take my collection out of the safe, and I just sit and stare and marvel at the whole lot. Some of the newcomers are great on their own, others I have an extensive history with.

Wonderful indeed!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

17. Likes iyonk, Chronopolitano liked this post