Likes Likes:  86
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I can afford it, but I can't buy, it!

Hi CFR,

I bought a HMS-001 early in the kickstarter phase for something like €230-€250 I can’t remember to be exact but for that money I think it is a great watch. I bought the cream dialed version but it was a toss up between that or the blue / gilt version. I have also since purchased one of their reverse panda dialed bicompax chronographs and I have to say i am impressed with the build quality of both the watches i have from them. I prefer vintage watches and these have a really nice size, weight / feel to them, I prefer plexy glass to saphire as they are easy to repair with poly watch, cheap to replace if you crack them and i like the distortion they give when you look at the watch face from an angle. No lume isn’t an issue to me as old Tritium dosent glow much if at all...... Who complains about the Omega speedmaster perfesional having a cheap plexiglass.... and they are NASA approved. Also despite the myota movement my HMS keeps time to +1second a day.... the bicompax is running at about +8 seconds but it is consistant so all it needs is a little tinkering with its daily rate and it will be fantasticly accurate.

At the end of the day if you like the style and looks of the watch and have the funds,why wouldn’t you buy it?
    A recent service on my Rolex GMT cost about the price of the bicompax.....

Just my two cents

two quick and dirty pictures for reference....

HMS-001

Reverse Panda dialed bicompax limited edition of 100

2. Likes CFR, happyscrappyheropup, synequano, iyonk liked this post
    Just one last point....
    When I ordered my bicompax i was on holiday, the watch was sent out quicker than anticipated but i had DHL hold the watch for me and this through up a problem on the french tracking postal site, Nino was straight on to me to check if i had received my watch ok or if there was a problem.... so their customer service so far has been first rate.

4. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    I like the look and would probably buy it if I had come upon it a few years ago, the price would not have been an issue. My first impression of a watch is its aesthetic and this one pushes all the right buttons. But I have gone through too many that resemble the look and I have what I want now. I can also say this about maybe a half dozen other pieces (from kickstarters, micros, trinity brands) I've gazed upon in the recent past . . .kinda liberating actually.
    Thanks a lot for your comment.

6. Likes uchinanchu, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
    Hi CFR,

I bought a HMS-001 early in the kickstarter phase for something like €230-€250 I can’t remember to be exact but for that money I think it is a great watch. I bought the cream dialed version but it was a toss up between that or the blue / gilt version. I have also since purchased one of their reverse panda dialed bicompax chronographs and I have to say i am impressed with the build quality of both the watches i have from them. I prefer vintage watches and these have a really nice size, weight / feel to them, I prefer plexy glass to saphire as they are easy to repair with poly watch, cheap to replace if you crack them and i like the distortion they give when you look at the watch face from an angle. No lume isn’t an issue to me as old Tritium dosent glow much if at all...... Who complains about the Omega speedmaster perfesional having a cheap plexiglass.... and they are NASA approved. Also despite the myota movement my HMS keeps time to +1second a day.... the bicompax is running at about +8 seconds but it is consistant so all it needs is a little tinkering with its daily rate and it will be fantasticly accurate.

At the end of the day if you like the style and looks of the watch and have the funds,why wouldn’t you buy it?
    A recent service on my Rolex GMT cost about the price of the bicompax.....

Just my two cents
    Thank you very much for your reply. Since you own the watches, your experience is most welcome. Two beautiful watches, that's for sure.

Thanks again.

8. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    There's this watch, the Baltic HMS-001. I kinda like it's aesthetics.

Attachment 76858

It's 38mm, automatic, 20mm drilled lugs, simple dial and costs 399 euros (taxes and shipping included). I can afford it, but the cynical in me is censoring the potential acquisition to a point of making it impossible. And why? Let's see:

1. Plastic crystal - I get it when a watch had/has to use this type of material and/or it served/serves a purpose, but obviously it's not the case, here. It's cheap. That's all!

2. Miyota 821 movement - In a 399 euros watch? Are you kidding? And the site claims the series 8200 are the equivalent of the ETA 2824-2. Seriously? Sure they meant the series 9000, but those are (comparatively) expensive, aren't they?!

3. Neo-vintage, they say. A contradiction in terms; let's get those semantics right;

4. Too much 'noise' in the social media; I strongly distrust of such an unanimity around a (too) recent product.

In conclusion, 399 euros for a watch made with some of the cheapest parts available, materializing one simple stereotype. Is it an hipster thing?

Now, am I too picky? Have you ever faced a similar dilemma? Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I'm not judging and I'm not criticizing anyone who bought this watch. It's a nice design, after all.
    Why buy "neo-vintage"? Get the real thing.

Seriously - what's the attraction? To me it looks like a kind of fashion watch, with no real positives other than the (arguable) taste of the designer. Pass.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

10. Likes CFR, OhDark30, Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post

Seriously - what's the attraction? To me it looks like a kind of fashion watch, with no real positives other than the (arguable) taste of the designer. Pass.
    The attraction is it's a very nice looking watch. Vintage watches are getting expensive and (arguably) hard to find in good shape. This one is right on the edge for me. If it were $300 USD or less I think I would bite. I do think it's one of the best looking, if not the best looking microbrands I have seen.

12. Likes CFR, uchinanchu, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    The attraction is it's a very nice looking watch. Vintage watches are getting expensive and (arguably) hard to find in good shape. This one is right on the edge for me. If it were $300 USD or less I think I would bite. I do think it's one of the best looking, if not the best looking microbrands I have seen.
    Interesting points of view from both of you. Thank you, Gentlemen.
    Last edited by CFR; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

14. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    The attraction is it's a very nice looking watch. Vintage watches are getting expensive and (arguably) hard to find in good shape.

Agreed. A good-looking watch is a good-looking watch, whether old or new. Mid-twentieth century watches are getting too crusty to be carefree, everyday watches. It’s great that watches in a similar style are available at a modest cost.

16. Likes uchinanchu, CFR, iyonk liked this post
    I saw the chronograph version of this watch at Worn & Wound’s Wind Up Event in NYC last year. I liked the watch but then the reps there, i believe the founders, made some pompous remarks about my wife and her Cartier. They spoke in French not knowing I’m proficient in the language. It’s all i needed to know I’d never own one of their watches. It’s a shame, as the chrono was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

18. Likes CFR, synequano, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanpatrick View Post
    I saw the chronograph version of this watch at Worn & Wound’s Wind Up Event in NYC last year. I liked the watch but then the reps there, i believe the founders, made some pompous remarks about my wife and her Cartier. They spoke in French not knowing I’m proficient in the language. It’s all i needed to know I’d never own one of their watches. It’s a shame, as the chrono was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Useful information. Thank's a lot!