Thread: Watch band advice thread

I like it!
    Cheers, Sedi

2. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    What are we thinking?

Name:  signal-2020-06-14-100805_005.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  71.8 KB

Well, regardless of what we're thinking, I've put it back on the stock NATO now, as this pilot's will need to be broken in using Kath's method:

Name:  signal-2020-06-14-100805_004.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  65.9 KB

Really stiff as hell and doesn't want to give in, no way I'm going to use my wrist for that.

As for the stock NATO, I was surprised by how sturdy it felt (you really feel like you're taking a tool watch out of the box, not a piece of jewellery, compared eg to the similarly sized Merci), and also how well the watch fits on this NATO on the wrist, likely thanks to the well low positioned lug holes.

4. Likes Strela167, ctimrun, OhDark30 liked this post
    I wouldn’t have the Air Ministry on either a riveted strap or a NATO. There’s a kind of default for British military and NATOs, but the AM predates that and came on a simple stitched strap made from pigskin.

Name:  DCFBAA69-F2FD-472E-8383-ED1D2497EDFB.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  81.9 KB

I put mine on a Nomos cordovan, largely because I had one going spare, but that worked well -

Name:  93022E45-1986-4F3E-9D8A-8121AD05A496.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  48.9 KB

The AM is quite a small and delicate thing (in a good way), and to my eyes, a thickish riveted strap is too heavy. A NATO, with its bunched tail and hardware, is too distracting and fussy. These were simple watches not much removed from everyday watches of the period, rather than something that was obviously military issue.

Go simple, is my advice. Something like the £10 Sectime on the Dynamic that I’m wearing right now -

Name:  A2B44385-AC6F-43F7-8FBD-E02355C672DC.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  110.2 KB

It strikes me, as I write this, that I have no idea why I sold my AM. I don’t think I had it long, and can remember passing it on to Matt in a pub - but why? I simply don’t know.

6. Likes rodia77, Sedi, ctimrun, OhDark30 liked this post
    It ok'ish, but you could find better options.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I wouldn’t have the Air Ministry on either a riveted strap or a NATO. There’s a kind of default for British military and NATOs, but the AM predates that and came on a simple stitched strap made from pigskin.

Name:  DCFBAA69-F2FD-472E-8383-ED1D2497EDFB.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  81.9 KB

I put mine on a Nomos cordovan, largely because I had one going spare, but that worked well -

Name:  93022E45-1986-4F3E-9D8A-8121AD05A496.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  48.9 KB

The AM is quite a small and delicate thing (in a good way), and to my eyes, a thickish riveted strap is too heavy. A NATO, with its bunched tail and hardware, is too distracting and fussy. These were simple watches not much removed from everyday watches of the period, rather than something that was obviously military issue.

Go simple, is my advice. Something like the £10 Sectime on the Dynamic that I’m wearing right now -

Name:  A2B44385-AC6F-43F7-8FBD-E02355C672DC.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  110.2 KB
    That kind of was my idea when I ordered the other two (pics here), but at 18mm tapering to 16 and with the stitches making them look even narrower, they won't work.

The riveted one, I hoped it would increase the presence of the watch a little, but now that I've seen and worn it, I don't think it's necessary.

The stock NATO looks and feels very much OK -- I don't care much about historical accuracy, though (unlike you, I gather). I think I only try and mess around with leather in order not to feel too silly after ordering a zillion of straps and not using any of them.

It strikes me, as I write this, that I have no idea why I sold my AM. I don’t think I had it long, and can remember passing it on to Matt in a pub - but why? I simply don’t know.
    In a pub? A roofie would be an explanation, props to Matt.

10. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I like to accent the dial, vice match. An example is this black shell cordovan on copper dial Perrelet with black indices. While the stitching is brown, it contrasts with the black to accent the dial quite well. Ordered this strap from Nomos. They have great straps in a variety of sizes, reasonable prices, and ship ultra-fast!

12. Likes rodia77, skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Attachment 77174

OK, I have one for the group...if I wanted to change this strap out, which way would you go?

It's dark brown which goes against all my sensibilities, but I really like it, likely because it is so dark it can be misconstrued for a black strap. Just looking to see what you all would do here for a replacement. Thanks.
    The black shell cordovan with brown stitch I just picked up from Nomos would look killer on that watch!

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    The stock NATO looks and feels very much OK -- I don't care much about historical accuracy, though (unlike you, I gather).

I’m not an absolute stickler for historical accuracy. I probably wouldn’t use a straight copy of the original strap, for example. Originals can be a useful guide to what works well, though.

For a while, I had the AM on a black perlon, and that looked OK.

15. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    I'm thinking, shouldn't the AM work out fine on a bund?

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I'm thinking, shouldn't the AM work out fine on a bund?
    Tried that , neah, for me anyway.
    Offered up a few straps that are on others to check too. Rustic grained brown works, for me. On a buffy at the mo. pity padded , would prefer without. Tried suede , not really , ostrich , lizard , shark , deer , etc.

18. Likes rodia77 liked this post