Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice: Speedy bracelet fell apart

Go nato, my son.

And mosh sometime. Live a little.

2. Likes T1ck, dbakiva liked this post
    You should be able to get a good watchmaker to correct it. Good luck.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

4. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    So the story gets interestinger and interestinger. I drove over to the Omega boutique. I had been expected, and was greeted warmly. They set about being very helpful. A stunningly tall and curvy young woman offered me a coffee, which I accepted. Nespresso. Nice. I was turned over to the young man (not as tall, and presumably not as curvy), who took a look at my bracelet. After putting the pieces together, as I had done, he proceeded to try to make the thing stay put.

Not so much. It was his determination that the problem was not a replaceable pin or collar tube, but that a permanently assembled piece, essentially a sub-assembly of the bracelet, had broken, and the only fix he could see was replacement of that sub-assembly. Oh, and I should probably get another end link as well, because it too was ferkokt. Roughly ... $300. I asked them to check availability of the sub-assembly, and I'd get back to them with a go-ahead.

He did suggest one of their fine leather straps, and Tall & Curvy suggested that it would look great on a NATO. Omega NATO, of course. $170. Already in possession of several straps and a couple NATOs, and knowing about what they cost me and what they would like to charge me, I declined politely to both suggestions.

I drove over to Glenview, close to my afternoon appointment, and stopped by a watchmaker I've used in the past. I had a dress watch with me that was running fast, and asked him is he could regulate it. He took it, looked at the sapphire back, nodded, and said "nice watch." He took it to a workbench, and put it on his Witschi. He came back a couple minutes later and told me that it had been slightly magnetized, but he had zapped it (he did not use this word, not even in Russian), and now,he said, it was perfect. I have to check this out later.

I then showed him the bracelet, in pieces, just wondering if he had any ideas. He took a look, and said that he could drill slightly here, and insert a pin here, and it would never come off. Inasmuch as the part he proposed to work on was the selfsame part O wanted to replace anyway, I said, "Go ahead." He wrote it up. Ready some time next week. About $30. No charge for the de-mag.

We'll see next week. I am hopeful, and I don't really blame Omega. They're not in the business of doing non-standard modifications of their stuff. In the back of my mind though, I'm thinking I might want to be on the lookout for a used bracelet, or even order those parts in case I want to maintain the genuine Omega-ness of the watch.
    Last edited by dbakiva; Mar 13, 2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

6. Likes Der Amf, FuzzyB, JAGtime liked this post
    One way or another - a result!