Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mind Boggling World of Digital Photography

Blog Entries

The Mind Boggling World of Digital Photography

I'm planning a trip in a few weeks and I wanted to get a new memory card for my Canon S90 pocket camera. A 16 GB SD card was almost the same price as the lower capacity ones so I splurged.
    Plugged it into the camera and I can now take 6000 large capacity JPEGS. That is the equivalent of 250 rolls of color print film back in the day. I can go on a 30 day trip and take 200 photos a day and not run out of photo capacity. It boggles my mind that 15 years ago I would have hauled camera, flash, 4 lenses and maybe 10 rolls of film - and now I take something the size of a deck of cards. How things have changed. I suppose many people just use their cell phone these days, although I still like a real camera.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

color print film?
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Blog Entries
    Yep. My wife liked to make albums of our travels so I always went with color prints. Back in the early days I used slide film of course, so I have boxes of them still.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

I scanned boxes of slides, that had never seen the light of day for decades, and then proceeded to make prints of the retouched slide/photos, so my wife could put them in albums.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

My Polaroid is no longer en vogue? Darn!

Name:  polaroid-sx-70-alpha-instant-folding-camera.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  30.9 KB
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

6. Likes bolaberlim, popoki nui, Spooky liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    My Polaroid is no longer en vogue? Darn!

Name:  polaroid-sx-70-alpha-instant-folding-camera.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  30.9 KB
    It is, it's very sought-after right now. That's a great SLR!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I'm planning a trip in a few weeks and I wanted to get a new memory card for my Canon S90 pocket camera. A 16 GB SD card was almost the same price as the lower capacity ones so I splurged.
    Plugged it into the camera and I can now take 6000 large capacity JPEGS. That is the equivalent of 250 rolls of color print film back in the day. I can go on a 30 day trip and take 200 photos a day and not run out of photo capacity. It boggles my mind that 15 years ago I would have hauled camera, flash, 4 lenses and maybe 10 rolls of film - and now I take something the size of a deck of cards. How things have changed. I suppose many people just use their cell phone these days, although I still like a real camera.
    I went the completely opposite way. I still have and use digital, but the sheer volume of digital pics I have is overwhelming. I can't print them all, and for the most part they are confined to external drives. I'm using a lot more film than I used to ( again, I went through this a few years ago and now I'm back) I take less photos, but they turn out a lot better, and they feel like real photos, there's all the expectation of waiting for the roll to be developed, and I print all of them. the result is I have real photo prints, instead of photos in a hard drive, and far more satisfaction. I still use digital though, can't beat low light digital files. But I get more satisfaction from film.

9. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Love digital. My old Canon FTb sits on my fireplace as an ornament now. I'm thinking of a full-frame DSLR as my next camera.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    I went the completely opposite way. I still have and use digital, but the sheer volume of digital pics I have is overwhelming. I can't print them all, and for the most part they are confined to external drives. I'm using a lot more film than I used to ( again, I went through this a few years ago and now I'm back) I take less photos, but they turn out a lot better, and they feel like real photos, there's all the expectation of waiting for the roll to be developed, and I print all of them. the result is I have real photo prints, instead of photos in a hard drive, and far more satisfaction. I still use digital though, can't beat low light digital files. But I get more satisfaction from film.
    I'm making my film comeback this year. I just ordered some D76 and Kodafix. I already have lots of Xtol and Dektol and a chest freezer full of film in various formats that will last me the rest of my life probably.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if I travel much lighter as my camera bag with all the lenses and SLR has now been replaced with a backpack that carries a laptop, iPod, tablet, various and sundry chargers, and a pair of noise canceling headphones. However, photo taking sessions when I get where I'm going are much lighter and easier.
    I still take photos as if I'm using film. I really don't think I need room for 6000 exposures, but it's nice not to worry about running out of film part way through a vacation day - and no film stores nearby.