Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New! Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow '57 Re-issue (pics!)

New! Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow '57 Re-issue (pics!)

So I've been doing pretty well; watch acquisition syndrome had abated, taken a long break from lurking and posting on forums. Life (for my wallet) was good.

But then I found myself in Europe and inside a little vintage watch shop recommended by a friend, the Euro drops to a 12 year low against the dollar that very day, and a 1999 Speedmaster 57 broad arrow re-edition is in front of me.

Name:  c307e91831b85e39c5fcea0c9d68c482.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.5 KB

For those not aware, the Speedmaster 57 Broad Arrow re-edition is a 1999 recreation of the original 1957 speedmaster in the 42mm speedy pro case. It used the contemporary manual 1861 movement from the standard speedy pro.

Name:  efa94f6a855a271ec59a2008d8b8d9e3.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  39.7 KB

I've been planning on getting a regular speedy pro and still have one in mind (perhaps a vintage cal 321), however the Broad Arrow is a somewhat unusual and definitely cool looking speedmaster variant. I am really quite delighted with it.

Why this model in particular? I'll admit it was a bit of an impulse purchase as I hadnt set out to buy a watch on this trip. That said I had been looking at various speedmasters for a while and this model was high on the list. More than anything I love the looks of the original broad arrow with the brushed steel bezel and those great hands but a vintage broadarrow is a bit outside my price range at the moment!

I did look at the modern co-axial Speedmaster '57 and though the movement is very impressive, I have other watches in mind at that price range. Furthermore whilst inspired by the broad arrow, the co-axial 57 only uses the arrow hands within the chrono sub-dial.

The re-issue on the other hand ticks a lot of boxes; the manual winding movement and hesalite crystal are very much in keeping with the spirit of the original and of the standard speedy pro, the looks are nearly identical to the original (hands, double dot at 12, applied omega logo) and a finally great price too.

Name:  9f96910180c28894160ca2da610cdca1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  94.5 KB

The more common version was ref 3594 with a bracelet. The one I found was a 3894 with a leather strap and deployant; I quickly switched it over to a leather Nato which is what I would have used even with a bracelet model.

Name:  97bc64ce977f986de78da1b0a787586c.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  48.9 KB

Here alongside my 1968 Rolex 5513 with faded bezel.

Although this Speedmaster is not strictly a vintage watch dating back to only the turn of the century, the combination of hesalite crystal, the 1950s design and the leather Nato definitely gives off a very vintage vibe. I think these two iconic sports watches make a great complementary pair.

Name:  3fd78f455ebe969176e5598d7398616b.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  705293e1d10008f1b6a52df1c9bcf53b.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  bb49d7c881a3f060085915f7bcb66693.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  58.5 KB

Hope you enjoyed the pics!
    Last edited by tempocalypse; Mar 12, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

Congrats on the watch and a great deal. Nice write up.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

3. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    two awesome watches !!

5. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Looks GREAT! enjoy !!

7. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    I'm usually not a fan of Speedy.

However, with that distressed leather strap and the broad arrows, that watch looks absolutely amazing. Very retro stylish.

I could totally seem myself wearing that Speedy with my motorcycle jacket and boots.

9. Likes Bwana, tempocalypse liked this post
    Great find. Congrats on the new piece, it looks great on that leather nato.

11. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    That was a great find, indeed. Beautiful combo (nato strap). Enjoy.

13. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Very cool! The '57 inspired me to put a steel bezel on my 3573. I also have some FOIS hands, but I may stick with the original white hands.

15. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Very cool! The '57 inspired me to put a steel bezel on my 3573. I also have some FOIS hands, but I may stick with the original white hands.
    I've toyed with the idea of getting into the custom speedy game. But I think I will focus on gathering some higher priority pieces into my collection before ever going down that route (if ever). It does seem like fun... seen some very interesting combinations on some forums.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

That broad arrow looks fantastic!! The rolex ain't too shabby either....don't say ain't or your mother will faint...I know, I know.

18. Likes tempocalypse liked this post