Likes Likes:  81
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For the first time I feel like I have a collection

For the first time I feel like I have a collection

Not a large one, to be sure, and certainly not as impressive as many I've seen, but I have begun to consider it a collection.

I've been a watch fancier for a while, have read the mags, gone to some shows, become familiar with local dealers, I have bought and sold a few watches. I've read and posted on this forum and others for several years. I've talked watches with friends and strangers in airports and in waiting rooms, and (apparently to her...) tried to bore my wife half to death. I've also bought her a few nice pieces that she wears with pleasure. Once in a while she will wear my vintage Datejust, which greatly pleases me. She has amiably tolerated accompanying me on some of my watch foraging treks, like that memorable Manhattan "O" trip ... Tourn-o, Kenjo, Wemp-o, Omeg-o, Seiko ...

When the subject horological comes up (and somehow it does come up), I am often asked if I have a "collection." And my answer usually was on the order of "Well ... I don't know if you'd call it a collection, but I have a few nice watches I like to wear."

With my latest acquisition, an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (automatic Piguet built column wheel movement, cream colored face, blued hands), I begin to see some focus in my small selection. Generalist in nature, based largely I think on function and situations in which a watch is to be worn, it now seems (modest though it may be compared with many here) to have reached a point where each watch has a different area of ... let's say expertise, in which it will be called upon to perform.

So, as it now stands:

Glashütte Original Hand Date, my dress watch
    Ulysse Nardin, Gold handwinder (c. 1960s), Dad's dress watch, and the "significant family event" watch ... weddings, funerals, Bar Mitzvahs, etc.
    Omega Seamaster GMT "Great White", travel watch, and frequent daily choice
    Guinand flieger/chrono, sport watch, worn on NATO or leather strap, filling in as dive style/flieger style, with 12 hour chronograph
    Rolex Datejust 16013, vintage piece, worn on black alligator strap, midway between dressy and casual, raised from a pup in 1980
    Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow, column wheel chrono. It will probably be a frequent wearer and a keeper

Though I don't really think of them as part of a collection per se, I also keep a Seiko SNDA65 chrono in the glove compartment of my car (my emergency watch), and at night I usually put on a tritium dialed LL Bean field watch so, when I wake up at 2:45 in the morning I can look at it and know that it is 2:45 in the morning; somehow I think this will comfort me. It is also my most accurate watch, reliably gaining less than a second a month (good deal for about $80 on eBay).
    Last edited by dbakiva; Mar 15, 2015 at 04:33 AM.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

OK, how's this:

Name:  Ugly-and-Crazy-Men-16.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  13.4 KB

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

4. Likes Seriously, ljb187 liked this post
    Name:  pic3.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  7.2 KB

6. Likes Seriously, popoki nui, ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    OK, how's this:

Name:  Ugly-and-Crazy-Men-16.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  13.4 KB
    THANK YOU

8. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Okay, okay, I'll work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    Okay, okay, I'll work on it.
    Please start with the UN

Per your request:

Name:  IMG_1350.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  P1000085.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  photo-4.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  55.7 KB

And the backup team:

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  P1000140.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  43.0 KB

Great collection, and tons of diversity,,,congrats

13. Likes dbakiva, JAGtime liked this post
    Nice!! the GO is stunning.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

15. Likes dbakiva, JAGtime liked this post