Likes Likes:  10

Thread: 6 myths about the Ides of March and killing Caesar

6 myths about the Ides of March and killing Caesar

Vox has a rather excellent article on the 6 myths about the Ides of March and killing Caesar.

Interesting read. I will say, just for interest, Seutonius records Caesar's last words as being Greek: καὶ σὺ, τέκνον; (you too, child? or perhaps better 'even you, my boy?' ...the semicolon is the ancient greek question mark, btw). Seutonius is probably full of crap: he portrayed Domitian as spending his time pulling the wings off flies, for example.

I'm sure Strauss goes into it in detail, but Caear's actions were really nothing more than the result of changes that had been brewing since the Gracchi and before. It's no coincidence Octavian/Augustus stepped right into the spotlight after Caesar. It's an important lesson to learn, as too often people believe they only need replace a leader, forgetting that leader arose because of an entire system that had developed over decades if not centuries. We don't live in a bubble of time separate from all that came before. O tempora, o mores! When will we learn the value of a humanities education?!

n.b.: I cited Strauss several times in my MA on Euripidean tragedy. He's a bright fellow.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    Caear's actions were really nothing more than the result of changes that had been brewing since the Gracchi and before. It's no coincidence Octavian/Augustus stepped right into the spotlight after Caesar. It's an important lesson to learn, as too often people believe they only need replace a leader, forgetting that leader arose because of an entire system that had developed over decades if not centuries. We don't live in a bubble of time separate from all that came before. O tempora, o mores! When will we learn the value of a humanities education?!

A self-evident idea that remains mysteriously invisible, inaudible, and incomprehensible to so many.

PS: It's funny how the subject of politics is no longer considered 'politics' when a certain amount of time has elapsed, even if the lessons therein are reflective of, and directly relevant to, our own times. Such is the Wheel of Samsara (Repetition ad infinitum), as Gotama says.

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Interesting read, thanks for posting. I couldn't help but smile at the bit about his will. Wonder if he had inking something was brewing and wrote or adjusted his will accordingly, or perhaps just had that much forethought long before that fateful day. Regardless, it was an excellent play. Checkmate.