Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One year with the Grand Seiko SBGH001

One year with the Grand Seiko SBGH001

As I mentioned in one of my earlier reviews of a different watch, if a watch makes it past the one year mark and I had absolutely no intention in my mind during that time to flip it, its a keeper. A keeper that lasts past that one year mark deserves to be reviewed. I still do not get tired of looking at this piece and wearing it. Without getting technical about the movement and Grand Seiko’s history I will just talk about my personal experiences with the watch. Anyone who is a fan of GS most likely knows the history and movement already as I find GS owners and people interested in the brand to very be informed.

Dial:

The dial is something truly unique. Sometimes it looks silver, white or different shades of beige or gray. The dial drastically changes between natural and artificial light and the brightness of the light. There are just so many looks I will give a few different examples. I agree, generic Seiko pics of this watch like many GSs do not do this watch justice. Many say they look boring. I would have to say probably 90% of these people never seen one in real life, under different lighting and took the time to appreciate the small details. The dial is not in your face but something that will truly make the wearer smile every time they look down at their wrists.

Hands & Indices:

The hands and indices add a great dimension to the dial. I love how Grand Seiko treats their steel as if it was gold. Looking at the indices and hands, so perfectly shaped, proportioned and great finish can blind someone in a strong sun lighting. Looking through a loupe or a zoom in camera I really found great appreciation for the details that for most people would go unnoticed .

Of course, who doesn't love a lovely blue seconds hand...

Case & Bracelet:

Again, its the small details that make you appreciate this otherwise conservative looking watch that doesn't look too exciting on many pictures. I try to capture what is missed in so many pictures. The precision of the bracelet and how the curves of the case contour the wrist are fantastic. Looking at the watch from different angles shows how complex the case really is.

Clasp is comfortable, secure and simple to operate.

Movement:

I love the high beat movement. Its pure enjoyment to watch the smooth seconds hand. The movement is also very nicely decorated. Especially considering the price bracket.

Here's a short video I made to show this amazing little machine at work in slow motion. As you can see the seconds hand moves in 10 increments per second.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yl3e6mW4y4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DJ5ELg36Q

Well, there is much more to this watch that keeps me coming back to it but these are just some of the features I been enjoying over the year of ownership. Hope you enjoyed!

Beautiful, just beautiful...congrats on a fine piece.

3. Likes -JP liked this post
    Reviewing a watch after one year of ownership is particularly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

5. Likes -JP, I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Reviewing a watch after one year of ownership is particularly interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    I agree it is an excellent idea. Might have to take that one for myself one of these days.

7. Likes popoki nui, -JP liked this post
    Wow! I don't know which is more impressive: your exquisite photography and descriptions, your sheer enthusiasm for your GS, or the watch itself. Either way, what an excellent post! Thanks for sharing this, JP.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

9. Likes Chronopolitano, -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    I agree it is an excellent idea. Might have to take that one for myself one of these days.
    Me too. My Tudor Heritage Chrono is just on one year now; it's been reviewed to death elsewhere, but maybe I should do one anyway....
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

11. Likes JAGtime, -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Me too. My Tudor Heritage Chrono is just on one year now; it's been reviewed to death elsewhere, but maybe I should do one anyway....
    Please do. In fact it might also be interesting to have a up-forum for one-year, or longer- term reviews.

Oh and if you do that it could just be the final push to buy the blue THC again after letting it go in the fall. I've been lusting for it again as it is
    Last edited by Chase; Mar 16, 2015 at 01:15 AM.

13. Likes popoki nui, -JP liked this post
    That is a beautiful watch and photos to match. The Hi-Beat is a watch I plan to own one day.

15. Likes -JP liked this post
    Extremely beautiful!! wow!
    see you that you appreciate,enjoy and lovin' it so much is.. priceless =)

17. Likes -JP liked this post
    Awesome watch. Awesome photos.
    Cheers,

Richard

19. Likes -JP liked this post