Likes Likes:  302
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on IWL

Some Thoughts on IWL

It's Pleasantville. Balmy 70 degrees with blue skies all the time.
    No "kids" (noobs) to stir up trouble.
    Everybody knows their watches, and the rules too well, so no food fights, no horsing around.
    Mostly really nice watches are discussed, but no Sturm und Drang.
    Respectable watches from everyone, and Club Member pats on the back from all.
    Almost Utopia. Or ... Dullsville.... a bit like a Retirement Community... or Stepford, CN.

Some Thoughts on IWL

It's a bit like an Apple Store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rusty; Jan 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM.

3. Likes Chronopolitano, Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    It's a bit like an Apple Store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer quinces.

Oh do be careful what you wish for...

6. Likes is that my watch, JAGtime, MHe225, Rdenney liked this post
    I do miss being able to impart knowledge on noobs - here I'm one of the less experienced, as opposed to more. But, I do like the lack of trolls, and how the membership is experienced and respectful, and cliquey
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    ... all I know is; There are a bunch of names I recognise and I feel comfortable here.
    ^^^ What he said
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I do miss being able to impart knowledge on noobs - here I'm one of the less experienced, as opposed to more. But, I do like the lack of trolls, and how the membership is experienced and respectful, and cliquey
    All pleasant things. Up to a point.
    But I believe this placidity can't go on indefinitely AND bolster the relevance and vitality of this forum.

It is perhaps TOO cliquey, and yet, ironically, NOT cliquey enough.

The level of familiarity (and maturity, ehem!) among some members here is such that we could create MORE opportunities - for those who want to - to share ideas and images with others but with a guarantee of absolute privacy (if such a thing is even possible).

A bunch of separate club rooms, so to speak, for those who wish to participate there from time to time, and actually create a real foundation for even real-life friendships. Super cliquey? Sure, why not. But the current level of discourse is neither here nor there, despite all the good manners.
    I am sure I am not the only one feeling the soft breeze of ennui setting in.

It is, I think, not an accident that the Lounge is MUCH more active here then the Cafe at the other place.

There are things other than watches in life, and given that we are barred from discussing issues and matters that are "sensitive" / "volatile" in the public arena... and that some people do not wish to share personal / private thoughts on things except to a like-minded few... Yes, there is PM. But you know what I mean.

As-is, I see little or no chance for further development in any real sense that would make IWL a noticeable improvement over the other forums. If anything, the other forums have (still) MUCH more to offer in terms of genuinely useful horological content.

I think the quality of IWL's current line-up makes this a real possibility, and it offers something that future noobs - if any - could also aspire to.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Jan 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM.

10. Likes timekeeper liked this post
    i think possibly at this relative 'infant' stage ,when its conception is measured only in months -criticism albeit mild is a little premature - the basics are there for a full and thriving forum in due time and i'm sure those running the show are just as keen to see it develop in the right way - i'm sure a slow burn up to speed is a preferred way

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    i think possibly at this relative 'infant' stage ,when its conception is measured only in months -criticism albeit mild is a little premature - the basics are there for a full and thriving forum in due time and i'm sure those running the show are just as keen to see it develop in the right way - i'm sure a slow burn up to speed is a preferred way
    I will be sending two assassins to your house for not agreeing with me 101%.
    They will arrive shortly.

BTW, I meant it more as a note on where we are at this juncture, rather thAn as a "criticism," or something worse, like fortune-telling. I observed, I spoke.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Jan 18, 2015 at 08:30 AM.

13. Likes shameless liked this post
    I find lurking around previous pastures quite sufficient to sharpen my thirst for IWL and its gentle ways.

Lots of watches, lots of knowledge, respectful understanding that other opinions are valid, no third rate stabs at sneering repartee. Lovely.