Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars that are sleepers

Cars that are sleepers

From the "drop dead gorgeous" thread, what cars have you owned, been in or seen that were sleepers?

I had a couple of E class AMGs that were very quick and didn't look like much from the outside. The big V8 in the E63 estate announced itself more than the blown V8 in the E55 saloon, but both were quiet, fairly sedate/boring looking cars that hauled ass.

Name:  e55-2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  89.5 KB

I took that to the track with some local Benz guys and ran 12.1@115 and the car was stock. Not bad for a two ton sled. At the time, a Corvette Z06 was running low 12s.

My E63 wagon was my favorite because I could haul my dogs. The 6.2L V8 didn't have the grunt of the blown 5.4L in the E55, but it was still a great performer. With 507hp it surprised many a sports car at the stoplight drags

And even though it was low and rear wheel drive, it kicked ass in the snow with some Blizzaks.

2. Likes Nokie liked this post

Dodge Colt Turbo. Surprising fast for a sh!t box.

Ditto for the Omni GLHS

I have also been in a mostly stock looking 600hp Civic. Basically the car spent the whole time trying to break your wrist.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

4. Likes happyscrappyheropup, popoki nui liked this post
    The 80s were pretty horrible times for performance vehicles. But compared to what was available then, those were quick rides that didn't look like much.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    The 80s were pretty horrible times for performance vehicles. But compared to what was available then, those were quick rides that didn't look like much.
    Yeah and tuned they can be insanely quick.

Been around this one which was built for less then $2000 and runs low 11 in 1/4 mile and can get round an autocross course pretty quickly. The fender flares are made from metal from a filing cabinet.

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Kind of fits in with the theme - A friend of mine (Jon) being a silly B:

Last edited by crownpuller; Mar 18, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Another sleeper from Mercedes. The 300E 6.0 aka the Hammer.

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup, Nokie, I-B liked this post

12. Likes Nokie, I-B liked this post
    Don't forget their 500hp minivan, R63AMG. Fastest kid hauler around, IF you can find one.

Name:  liplbrpwxidbwkmpmszq.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.7 KB
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

14. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I did almost buy a gold four door '68 Ford Torino with a 427 side oiler shoved in it but it was that summer when gas was above $4 a gallon and it would have been my only car. Still wish I had of bought it though.

This color

16. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    When I was a kid, my Mom had a four door Dodge Dart that looked alot like this one:

Name:  1974DodgeDart2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  64.6 KB

Looked like the ultimate stodgy family sedan, but it had the optional 318cu V-8, and it could smoke the tires all day long. Not that I would ever have done such a thing.

18. Likes popoki nui liked this post