Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Counterfeit Report

The Counterfeit Report

Aftermarket car parts are a big target for fakes and sometimes there are terrifying results. I have seen a fake aftermarket come apart....

Another forum I am on is a watch building forum that has loose rules on replicas. I don't personally build or wear replicas but some of those guys do amazing work (one guy built a 6152 with a vintage quarter minute repeater movement and custom slide on the side of the case to activate it). That being said guys over there are constantly on the lookout for fakes on eBay and will report them to try to prevent people getting screwed over (not that eBay cares). Not all replica makers are created equally in my opinion. Some it is about making a quick buck. Others it is a hobby and is about creating watches like ones they are unable to own much like replica car builders.

Hopefully that isn't breaking rules about discussion of replicas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

What's a real worry is that up to 10% of pharmaceuticals in the worldwide supply chain are counterfeit. In some countries up to 70%..

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    What's a real worry is that up to 10% of pharmaceuticals in the worldwide supply chain are counterfeit. In some countries up to 70%..
    Hardly surprising, given the cost of most drugs. While new drugs are still under patent protection Big Pharma scarfs up every red cent it can, and sometimes the prices are beyond belief. Seventeen years ago while my father was dying he developed a thrombosis for which he was prescribed low molecular weight heparin. I recall this distinctly -- it was four syringes that came in a box. Those four doses cost $8000, in '98 dollars no less.

Without getting into the manifold issues regarding the pharmaceutical industry, it's a plain fact that a huge proportion (probably a large majority) of the world's population can't afford patent-protected meds, and even sometimes not the generic formulations either. So the fact that meds are being counterfeited left & right is precisely what one would expect given the economics of health care. A bad situation all around.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Hardly surprising, given the cost of most drugs. While new drugs are still under patent protection Big Pharma scarfs up every red cent it can, and sometimes the prices are beyond belief. Seventeen years ago while my father was dying he developed a thrombosis for which he was prescribed low molecular weight heparin. I recall this distinctly -- it was four syringes that came in a box. Those four doses cost $8000, in '98 dollars no less.

Without getting into the manifold issues regarding the pharmaceutical industry, it's a plain fact that a huge proportion (probably a large majority) of the world's population can't afford patent-protected meds, and even sometimes not the generic formulations either. So the fact that meds are being counterfeited left & right is precisely what one would expect given the economics of health care. A bad situation all around.
    I'm a little biased as I work in the industry. It costs hundreds of millions to get a new drug to the market. For every successful med you can have many that fall during clinical trials or don't sell. You then have regulatory bodies denying license to protect homegrown medications.

I work in scale up 'active ingredient' manufacturing and this is a very tricky process. You get proven formulations from lab scale that takes a huge amount of process assessment followed by a 3 batch validation, if it's finally done and the yields are worth bothering with you then need a regulatory body to audit and approve the med for market. These guys don't mess around and rightly so..to build an R&D plant, such as the one
    I work in costs ~ $500m and I'd say half the time we are idle trying to get things right. It's a very hazardous business too..with a strict trilogy - quality, safety and the environment, a ratio of perhaos 3:1 engineering support and quality/environmental assurance to actual manufacturing staff. Rain water that falls within the facility has to be collected and checked prior to release!

You then have your patten window to recoup, get money to keep research going and make some profit.

Their is a lot of greedy profiteering. .no doubt about it but not as much as you'd think
    Last edited by pepperami; Mar 20, 2015 at 12:57 AM.

6. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    I'm a little biased as I work in the industry. It costs hundreds of millions to get a new drug to the market. For every successful med you can have many that fall during clinical trials or don't sell. You then have regulatory bodies denying license to protect homegrown medications.

I work in scale up 'active ingredient' manufacturing and this is a very tricky process. You get proven formulationd from lab scale that takes a huge amount of process assessment followed by a 3 batch validation, if it's finally done and the yields are worth bothering with you then need a regulatory body to audit and approve the med for market. These guys don't mess around and rightly so..to build an R&D plant, such as the one I
    I work in costs ~ $500m and I'd say half the time we are idle trying to get things right. It's a very hazardous business too..with a strict trilogy - quality, safety and the environment, a ratio of perhaos 3:1 engineering support and quality/environmental assurance to actual manufacturing staff. Water that falls within the facikty has to be collected and checked prior to release!

You then have your patten window to recoup, get money to keep research going and make some profit.

Their is a lot of greedy profiteering. .no doubt about it but not as much as you'd think
    Yep. If it wasn't for pharmaceutical companies' R&D efforts (which cost money they cannot be sure to recoup) the meds wouldn't be available at all. At any price.

The reality is that you are not only paying for the drug you buy, but for all the ones that didn't make it to market.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Mar 20, 2015 at 01:00 AM.
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

8. Likes pepperami, FuzzyB liked this post
    Wow - Fake Helicopters?
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Wow - Fake Helicopters?

....and fake Invictas​??
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    In China they also fake Yellow Tail as well, which is still a sub $10 wine I think

Chinese wine marketing, btw, is quite amazing. They'll put any rubbish on the label. My friend and I were in a large supermarket and found a red wine called "E-mail". The year usually relates to the year the winery was founded rather than the vintage. Their entire market for imported wine is raddled with fakes, at every level.
    What with the recent law suit against California wineries and their very high levels of arsenic, one wonders which is worse legit or fake . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    In certain sections of the vintage wine market the presumption is that more of the stuff being bought and sold is fake than not. One guy alone is estimated to have put $100m worth of fakes onto the market.

I can direct you to a 7300 post long thread on a wine forum if you're interested....

Haven't they made a movie about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Haven't they made a movie about him?
    I think so. It's hilarious how many big names in the wine world allowed themselves to be taken in by him.