Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shinola "Made in Detroit". Is it really?

Shinola "Made in Detroit". Is it really?

Newly open Big Shiny Upscale Store in Ottawa, Ontario offers wide variety of Shinola watches, I'd say the whole line of products. So, I went there to see what they got and they got all bunch of nice looking shiny watches - chronos, divers, fancy-shmancy "Built in Detroit". After reading couple of treads here and at the "old place" I checked some other sources as well and found this: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/shi...tches-detroit/
    So, here we go again - made, built, assembled? Victorinox Maveric CDN $450, Shinola Runwell Sport CDN$900... wtf?...
    Your opinion? And to those who actually own one, by the chance, is it really twice as good as Vic?
    Last edited by BlackNomad; Mar 21, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Assembled, and no shame in that. No one has more right to say 'We made it' than Shinola.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Assembled, and no shame in that. No one has more right to say 'We made it' than Shinola.
    Absolutely! But, leaving that ethic/economic dispute aside, is it twice as comfortable (durable, reliable, whatnot) as Victorinox made basically from the same parts (not sure, correct me if i'm wrong here)?

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

There've been a couple of previous threads including this one http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...igan&highlight=
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    Absolutely! But, leaving that ethic/economic dispute aside, is it twice as comfortable (durable, reliable, whatnot) as Victorinox made basically from the same parts (not sure, correct me if i'm wrong here)?

I don't know the models, but generally, is a Shinola worth twice the price of a similar Victorinox? I wouldn't have thought so.

I would not pay twice for a watch like this.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Savagely Average
    It is a trendy brand, there is value in that right now....5 years from now we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    It is a trendy brand, there is value in that right now....5 years from now we will see
    Can you, please, explane it? Yes, I understand the brand is hot, but where does value come from? Their watches are neither exclusive nor luxury, not in any sense technologically advansed or original from design point of view, but their prices are on par or even higher than those of better known brands for better quality watches. Do you mean that 5 years from now this current line of models might become "collectable" or their quality and designs will take them to the level of such brands as Tissot, Victorinox (affordables) or even luxurious Swiss brands? Yes, I liked couple of models, but I just can't see a point in paying 2x price of Vics or Seiko.
    Last edited by BlackNomad; Mar 29, 2015 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    Can you, please, explane it? Yes, I understand the brand is hot, but where does value come from? Their watches are neither exclusive nor luxury, not in any sense technologically advansed or original from design point of view, but their prices are on par or even higher than those of better known brands for better quality watches. Do you mean that 5 years from now this current line of models might become "collectable" or their quality and designs will take them to the level of such brands as Tissot, Victorinox (affordables) or even luxurious Swiss brands? Yes, I liked couple of models, but I just can't see a point in paying 2x price of Vics or Seiko.
    From a well-managed corporate image rooted in the notion of returning industry to Detroit. Plus designs that fit well into prevailing tastes.

If you don't find the style of the watch doesn't especially compelling, if Detroit manufacturing counts for nothing with you and if you care not for the corporate image attached to watches you buy, then I can see why you would find their offer financially unappealling
    Last edited by Der Amf; Mar 31, 2015 at 03:05 PM.

I sure like their Filson colab