Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Goosebumps

Classical Goosebumps

Ok so what pieces of classical music send chills down your spine or move you to tears? Even if it's just a brief instant, key change or phrase that you revisit time and again.

I have a couple that get me everytime.
    The whole of Elgar's Nimrod and the opening of Handel's Zadok the priest. There are many other pieces I love but not many that reach inside and cause a reaction like these two can.
    Oh and Jerusalem. I'll add that quickly. :-)

I know there are folks on here with a lot of experience of this so am looking forward to picking up some new pieces to goosebump to.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

2. Likes M. Montaigne, man of kent liked this post
    Bits of 'The Lark Ascending', bits of Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune. Beethoven's Ninth, if I'm in the mood for grandness. Duruflé's Requiem.

There will be other passing moments in favourites like Bach, Telemann and Haydn but I can't pinpoint them.

4. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    Nessun dorma. Or is that considered opera?

https://youtu.be/rTFUM4Uh_6Y
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I like the 1st movement of Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony, and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Nothing too much exotic in that I suppose.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

8. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    St. Martin in the Fields performing Handel's Messiah.

And listening to the beginning of Zadok the Priest always sends a chill up my spine.

10. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    The whole of Elgar's Nimrod and the opening of Handel's Zadok the priest. There are many other pieces I love but not many that reach inside and cause a reaction like these two can.
    I wrote my response before seeing your comment, and noticed that you mentioned Zadok the Priest as well. In fact, I am listening to Musica Sacra and a collection of Handel's coronation hymns right now, performed by the English Chamber Orchestra and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields -- similar to this.

12. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    One of my favourite pieces. Love listening to it on a summer's night with a thunder storm rolling in from the distance.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

14. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    I'll be watching this thread closely, really need some classical music education.

If I could recommend one piece it would be Ghershwins 'Rhapsody in blue' when the piano drops off and the wall of strings and solo clarinet begins ~ 10:40 it gives me the bumps..

Rhapsody In Blue: Gershwin: https://youtu.be/ynEOo28lsbc

Pretty much anything by Rachmaninov is pretty cool too..concerto No.2 in particular.

16. Likes muddy250, MHe225 liked this post
    Ralph Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis. Also the Lark ascending and the 5th symphony by the same composer normally reduce me to jelly

18. Likes boatme99, muddy250 liked this post
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

20. Likes muddy250 liked this post