Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sebenza for watch nerds

Hybrid View

A sebenza for watch nerds

Sent from my blackberry (just kidding!)
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

2. Likes boatme99, Hayseed Brown, shameless liked this post
    Watch nerds* damn you auto correct

Sent from my blackberry (just kidding!)
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

Blog Entries
    Am I the only person on earth who's underwhelmed by the Sebenza? Don't get me wrong, they're nice enough knives. But IMO there's really nothing about them that justifies the price. For the price of a single full size Sebenza I could buy two Benchmade folders with better locks and production quality that is close enough to the Sebenza to moot the issue.

I get that some people are drawn to Chris Reeve's work, and I've owned a couple of his fixed blades. But I've owned a metric shit ton of folders from a wide array of manufacturers, and I've used probably a dozen Sebenzas owned by others, and I can find nothing to justify the cost of a Sebenza over other folders. It doesn't help that I really dislike frame locks (though nowhere near as virulently as I dislike liner locks). And it doesn't help that I don't like Reeves' choice of steel. While I acknowledge the Sebenza is a wildly popular design, and know others whose judgement I respect who own Sebenzas, I just cannot bring myself to feel the love for that knife.

I don't mean to rain on the OP's parade, and no disrespect to anyone else's choice in folders; just proffering an unsolicited opinion on something I feel strongly about.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Personally, I make it a point to talk about Rolexes on every Omega thread and post pictures of my dogs whenever Jeannie or Sherry talk about their cats.

7. Likes Statius, Chronopolitano, Bwana, Rdenney liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Personally, I make it a point to talk about Rolexes on every Omega thread and post pictures of my dogs whenever Jeannie or Sherry talk about their cats.
    You do know I have two dogs too, right?

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

9. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    You do know I have two dogs too, right?
    Yeah? Well then, I have four hamsters. Itsy, bitsy, teeny, and weenie.

11. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Yeah? Well then, I have four hamsters. Itsy, bitsy, teeny, and weenie.
    I have Winchester and Tucker (cats) and also Maggie and Galoot (dogs).

We used to have another dog (Roxie) and another cat (Jack) but we lost both of them last year.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

13. Likes Der Amf, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    I have Winchester and Tucker (cats) and also Maggie and Galoot (dogs).

We used to have another dog (Roxie) and another cat (Jack) but we lost both of them last year.
    I'm sorry to hear that. My wife used to own two cats, but I am allergic to them. So, we gave them to her parents when we moved in together. They're still there.

We have had a few dogs over the years. We had a min pin that disappeared on a trip to Oklahoma. Stolen, eaten by coyotes, who knows? She was called Buffy, and was a spirited little thing!

We had a half shepherd half newfie that grew way too big (100+ lbs at less than a year), so we gave her to my parents who have a huge place in CT, complete with a pond.

We used to have a beagle yorkie mix (boy and girl) -- when they were still puppies, a friend's kid really wanted the boy, so we gave her the puppy. She still has him. The girl is with my wife's father -- his dog died, and he really liked her.

We now have just one dog, an American eskimo/samoyed mix.

I like the Umnumzaan better, but they are both great knives, machined to exacting standards, and built to last. I've owned both, and I wouldn't agree that Benchmades have better locks in general, or even specifically. As a whole, I prefer the Spyderco brand to both, but that's just my opinion.