Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project watch from a while ago.

Project watch from a while ago.

I've always been fond of the Rado Starliners, which are big clean vintage pieces dating from the late fifties until the late sixties. I picked up a junker one day It was sold as non-working and from the photos I thought it was a redial. Starliners generally came on quite unusual bracelets and this one did. I paid about what the bracelet was worth and that is actually what I wanted. This is what arrived. It is one of the 38mm sizes.

The crystal is a disaster. The first surprise is an unpleasant one- a lot of what looks like dirt and grime is actually corrosion and scratches. The bracelet is dreadful.

The next surprise is nice:

The dial is in really nice shape. and not a redial.

Every surface of the watch was cleaned, sanded and polished, all by hand to keep the sharp edges. I like to put it back together, photograph it and see how it's coming. This is after the first clean and sand:

The edges are nice and sharp, but there are still swirls. There is also another nice surprise. When I put this back together:

The very clean 30J AS 1879 started working. It could use a service but it definitely runs and keeps reasonable time.

A second buffing and I did a little polish on the hands and a few touch ups to the case.

Once again:

Then:

Now:

The factory bracelet turned out a treat. Even the corrosion around the clasp is gone.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Jan 16, 2015 at 08:59 PM.

Wow- what a transformation -great job.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Wow Henry, it looks fantastic!

Impressive results, Henry

Fantastic. Night and day difference. Very nice work.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Methinks Sir is being a little modest
    That's a cracking job

I'm particularly impressed with the 'STARLINER' appliqué - How did you get it to look so good ? Was it just a case of cleaning it ?
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Methinks Sir is being a little modest
    That's a cracking job

I'm particularly impressed with the 'STARLINER' appliqué - How did you get it to look so good ? Was it just a case of cleaning it ?
    Yes, it simply required a careful clean with a Q-tip. The gunge buffed off no problem.