Likes Likes:  89
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite watch adverts

Favourite watch adverts

A post by Der Amf in the MWC thread got me thinking about watch advertising and led me to revisit this favourite Rolex ad of mine.

I think it does so many things right. It's visually striking and manages to combine the appeal of both luxury and lifestyle in the brief text.
    The first line is amazing: "This is the watch we engineered for the lonely places".
    That it's an ad for a watch I love doesn't hurt either.

Which ads really strike a chord with you?
    Last edited by whatmeworry; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

2. Likes Teeritz, iyonk liked this post

Ha! Touche
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

5. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I find it interesting that he says 'I *carried* your watch to the summit', not 'I wore it'
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

7. Likes whatmeworry, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I find it interesting that he says 'I *carried* your watch to the summit', not 'I wore it'
    On that basis maybe it should have been "My Sherpa carried your watch to the summit"

9. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    A post by Der Amf in the MWC thread got me thinking about watch advertising and led me to revisit this favourite Rolex ad of mine.

I think it does so many things right. It's visually striking and manages to combine the appeal of both luxury and lifestyle in the brief text.
    The first line is amazing: "This is the watch we engineered for the lonely places".
    That it's an ad for a watch I love doesn't hurt either.

Which ads really strike a chord with you?
    That's one of my favourites. I even ripped it off a couple of years ago;

Omega Ad 8 - Copy B&W.jpg

An Italian Rolex forum went to town on me for that one. I wanted to respond, but that would have meant signing up and joining just to make a reply. Couldn't be bothered.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

11. Likes whatmeworry, OhDark30, geoffbot, Banker, MHe225 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    That's one of my favourites. I even ripped it off a couple of years ago;

Omega Ad 8 - Copy B&W.jpg

An Italian Rolex forum went to town on me for that one. I wanted to respond, but that would have meant signing up and joining just to make a reply. Couldn't be bothered.
    That's superb

Happily unadjusted 😜 popoki nui's Avatar
    The ad that started my 43-year-and-counting love affair with LED watches. From late 1972:
    Pulsar ad.jpg

I have another Pulsar ad around here somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen

Like IWL on Facebook!

14. Likes OhDark30, iyonk, FuzzyB, mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    The ad that started my 43-year-and-counting love affair with LED watches. From late 1972:
    Pulsar ad.jpg

I have another Pulsar ad around here somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

~Sherry.

So the battery gives you about 3 hours 10 mins of display....
    .....I'm never bitching about my phone battery again

16. Likes popoki nui, FuzzyB liked this post
    Happily unadjusted 😜 popoki nui's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

So the battery gives you about 3 hours 10 mins of display....
    .....I'm never bitching about my phone battery again
    If you were lucky! Most LED watch owners pushed the button way more than 25 times a day, at least at first. Most of us managed to get only six months out of a set of batteries. Many of us LED-heads thought that was a small price to pay in exchange for having such a revolutionary piece on our wrists. Some of us still do.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Mar 26, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen

Like IWL on Facebook!

18. Likes Der Amf, iyonk liked this post