Likes Likes:  89
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite watch adverts

"A solid state time computer no bigger than a wrist watch". SOLD!
    Mind you, with the Explorer at $180 in 1964 and the Pulsar at $295 in 1972 I know which one I'd rather have bought...

2. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Mind you, with the Explorer at $180 in 1964 and the Pulsar at $295 in 1972 I know which one I'd rather have bought...
    You had to be there. These things were so out-of-this-world different and cool, that at least for a couple of years, regular watches just seemed so lame. Even Rolex. It was a very different time.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    You had to be there. These things were so out-of-this-world different and cool, that at least for a couple of years, regular watches just seemed so lame. Even Rolex. It was a very different time.

~Sherry.
    I suspect that Apple are hoping for a similar vibe

5. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I know this is tangential at best but I'm always amused by people thinking the Casio F91 is an icon of the 80s (its name is a clue to when it was released) As far as I can recall, this one would be the nearest to being the Standard Eighties Casio

The image of the F91 is so pervasive that in my memories my Casios looks more like it than reality. I think I put this down to the popularity of the F91 a few years ago amongst people who were trying to a get themselves a mid-80s retro look. The mental association got made then and has stuck.

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Probably this one, just because it perfectly embodies hublot: brash, gauche, and utterly tasteless.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1427358282580.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  58.5 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes I-B, FuzzyB, wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post

~Sherry.
    The other thing that struck me was the minute a year accuracy, which is better than most digitals claim nowadays.

11. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    When i was a kid, i was very fascinated with digital watches. back then, they are not cheapos like now.. as much as i love other type of watches, i still admire these as memorabilia =)

they cost peanuts nowdays, but back then, i dream to have these! =P
    Attached Images Attached Images    

13. Likes I-B, OhDark30, popoki nui liked this post
    Sherry is quite right about having to be of that time -i'm quite sure that as a young man at that time which watch you would have by choice should you have been able to afford it !!! an Explorer would not have held the same attraction as it might today - to put this in context i'm trying to remember my weekly wage at that time and it was probably in the region of £15.00 a week so these Led's watches were expensive

15. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    here are some i like :

in 1905 the kid's knew what they wanted
    Name:  1905.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  46.4 KB

Art-deco Rolex ad
    Name:  ba83fbfbededb054c04f3ed7d3620dfd.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  18.7 KB

I read a nice article here on IWL about the distribution of these
    Name:  52faec37045f301e144760ca3d03f72a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  26.0 KB

Cars used to have Omega radiators
    Name:  OmegaWatch.jpg
Size:  82.0 KB

It was cheap to please a woman back in the day's
    Name:  il_fullxfull.369165892_27za.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  73.4 KB

Hamilton was your present when you graduate
    Name:  4347937055_5f033e3068.jpg
Size:  151.2 KB
    Last edited by I-B; Mar 26, 2015 at 08:49 AM.

17. Likes iyonk, OhDark30, geoffbot, FuzzyB, popoki nui, CFR liked this post
    It's kind of nice for us that we've forgotten that getting the accurate time was once worth a premium, being released from having to know which clocks you could trust etc

19. Likes popoki nui liked this post