Likes Likes:  114
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch for rock gigs?

Watch for rock gigs?

Think hard & heavy, with lots of clapping, fist shaking, occasional mosh pit activity, accidental knocks against hard objects.

I'm thinking...
    - reasonably shockproof (so quartz, but feel free to convince me an auto will withstand the above)
    - if quartz, then solar-powered only, batteries are so 20th c.
    - much as it's contradictory to point 1 here, analogue time display preferred
    - not a smartwatch
    - titanium very welcome
    - illumination or legible, lumed hands
    - badass factor of some kind (can be an overkill in style, colour, artsy motifs, bling, heft etc, but not necessarily everything at once)
    - up to 42 mm in size
    - needs to work outside of the concert, too -- it's going to be my only watch taken for these trips, and they usually last a couple of days and involve other leisure/tourist activities
    - I have a G-Shock but that's so not the point (any Gs around that are 'extravagant' in ways other than tech, though?)

Last time I attended a concert, I was wearing my Citizen:

Name:  IMG_0153_r.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  63.0 KB

and I wasn't confident that it would get out of there undamaged. (My concerns were probably based on how delicate and thin the hands look, the watch feels rock solid in hand otherwise, but one hint I take from here -- no teeny-tiny chrono hands).

What drew my attention so far:
    Seiko Excelsior -- but at 43mm I'd have to try it on before buying
    Citizen Drive -- not the most extravagant out there but has some boldness to it, 44mm though
    A Seiko that I haven't identified yet -- there are similar ones in Brightz line, though

Use your illusion IWL and hit me with your ideas.
    Last edited by rodia77; Nov 4, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

well use for for all heavy duty work
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes rodia77, popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post
    Left field entry. 100m WR for all the beer thrown at it, sapphire crystal, tungsten carbide "scratchproof" case, unique. Lume is only OK, but they are easy read nonetheless. It is automatic, though. The quartz versions are all battery powered chronos.

P3190236 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Mine has gone from the home renos and the garden to music festivals and the Caribbean Sea.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Nov 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

5. Likes rodia77, OhDark30, FSM71 liked this post
    or the cube can take it as well or the cwc really that take a knock or two and the army use them don't ya know so sure they have been used hard or the luminox or an old casio mtd or some form ..well any of my watches really as if they can't take a knock I would probably not wear then now a days
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

7. Likes rodia77, I-B liked this post
    oh and the seiko can't remember the code but is one of the Seiko Brightz World Time Solar Atomic Watch range from memory was it a sag 15 or some thing ?

and is like £800 bucks if I remember right
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Name:  C91C98BA-B62A-4FA5-A1F3-128BC78561A8.jpeg
Views: 270
Size:  61.4 KB

But actually, a G-Shock.

11. Likes rodia77, CFR, popoki nui liked this post
    As much as I want to go with something funky like the Rado, I think disposability trumps all here. Rados and g-shocks are probably a little expensive to be disposable.

A lot of the kids, hipsters, surfers (ie concert and festival-goers) in my part of the world have vintage basic Casios like the Casio Royale. Sub 50 bucks delivered and much lower profile than the G-shock means it might survive and if it doesn't, it won't hurt anywhere near as much.

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Some mechanical watches go to war. I think they can handle a bit of guitar playing and clapping.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

15. Likes rodia77, OhDark30, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    depends where in the world you are but a second had g is like £15 for alot of different ones mean the ga-100 I was showing is like £60 new so say £25/£30 second hand probably cheap if you buy one that needs a battery fitting probably get one for a tenner

but swatch would work too
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy