Likes Likes:  40
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Terrible experience at an AD

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I've had some decent service at Tourneau, but I also had my worst watch experiences there, too. I was in their large NYC store last year and wanted to see a watch they supposedly carried in person. I asked one of the sales associate about it and she asked me to wait a moment while she checked. She moved 3 feet down the counter and pretended our encounter never happened.

At my local Tourneau, I was having a problem with my Tudor chronograph and the watchmaker came out to take a look at it. When I told him the chronograph wasn't engaging properly, he tried the pusher once and asked me how much did I really even use the chronograph. I thanked him for his time and left.

There are some great stores out there, but you have to look for them sometimes.

Wempe has always treated me very well even when they knew I had no plans to buy.

Toppers is great and Rob is a fun guy to talk to. I stopped in when I was visiting San Francisco and I had a great time chatting about watches and trying on anything I wanted. My daughter, who was 2 at the time was not in a great mood, but she brightened up quickly when he brought his dog out from the back room to play with her in the showroom.

The Little Treasury in Maryland is also a place where watch lovers feel welcome.

Finally, Martin Pulli is simply fantastic. The brands he sells are amazing (where else can you see Sarpeneva and Habring watches in one store? Or any store for that matter?). Plus he's another great guy to chat watches with. He went out of his way to pull watches from the back just because he thought I would appreciate seeing them.

Really long and rambling story short. There are better stores out there. You just have to find them. Even a different salesperson within the same store can make a huge difference.
    Rob is absolutely the best--I've bought several from him. Great service, always honest about his opinions. I bought my MeisterSinger from Little Treasury, also a good experience.

2. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    somewhat related, a brietling colt just went up on WUS....

4. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I've not had an experience as bad as that, but I have found that employees in watch stores are often woefully lacking in knowledge about watches. It may have been that he just didn't really understand your questions.
    I think this is the likely problem. In Arkansas wearing cowboy boots wouldn't be an issue. They are common footwear regardless of economic status.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

6. Likes Spooky liked this post

Terrible experience at an AD

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    But it's called 'The United' States?!

I know, but one can generalise.
    That's political, not cultural. One cannot generalize, except that there are jerks everywhere.

Being treated rudely (or its converse) knows no boundaries. I've received rude, snobbish, and unnecessarily officious behavior all over the world. In some cases, some of what I considered rude, snobbish, or officious was thought the same even by locals.

I have also enjoyed interactions of unexpected friendliness and helpfulness in all those same places, and occasionally by people who were attempting (not always without success) to screw me.

Rick "who does not extrapolate jerkitude" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Apr 2, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Sorry Rick, to confirm - one can't generalise at all? So I can't say 'i like Europe' or 'i dislike jazz' because inevitably there will be exceptions? One must always talk in absolute specifics?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Sorry Rick, to confirm - one can't generalise at all? So I can't say 'i like Europe' or 'i dislike jazz' because inevitably there will be exceptions? One must always talk in absolute specifics?
    Sorry, you're trying to take this seriously?

I can explain the difference between broad statements and generalizations, but you would rather I didn't, I suspect.

Rick "who dislikes some jazz" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Sorry, you're trying to take this seriously?
    I can explain the difference between broad statements and generalizations, but you would rather I didn't, I suspect.
    Broadly speaking and in general, no

11. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I can explain the difference between broad statements and generalizations...
    I believe I can help with the latter by way of a few examples:

• "It's a good thing war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
    • "Consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief, than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved." - Mark Antony
    • "Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good." Bernard Law Montgomery

With regard to the former I don't feel comfortable using such archaic verbiage and frankly am surprise the most nuanced and well-round poster I've come across on these forums would use language better left to Humphrey Bogart and Groucho Marx.

Liam "who not only is dubious as to the humor in this post, but also fears he may have crossed the line...nevertheless thinks he could like Dizzy Gillespie and knows he likes some of Benny Goodman's Live at Carnegie Hall Concert" Barrett

13. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post