Likes Likes:  93
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you mentally make sense of your collection?

Categories:
    1)Winter watches-tend to be slimmer/smaller diameter design, rarely have a timing bezel.
    2)Summer watches-tend to be my larger watches, usually have timing bezel in play.
    3)Dress watches-saved for special occasions, or a night out with Mrs.Bwana
    4)A collection of all of the above, including redundant/upgraded pieces....and not sure why I still own them ?

2. Likes Der Amf, JAGtime liked this post

How you mentally make sense of your collection?

There is no way to "rationalize" my collection and I can't think of any compelling reason to apply the word "strict" to how I choose which one I wear on any given day.

I once bout a Poljot Sturmaskie chronograph because it was available and cheap. I wore it for a while but it was (is) erratic. I researched the Poljot and found the story a bit in compelling (ripoff of Valjoux 7633, etc.)

Years later, I bought an Ebel for dressier occasions. I researched the Ebel brand. I bought another, and researched the movement. That led to a discovery of forums, Zenith, high-beat escapements, A. Schild, etablissage, horological beauty, the Jura mountains, the Community of Precision Watchmaking, the Watch Snob, column wheels, the PLAAF ST-19, Lemania, Zodiac, the Swiss Franc, and an understanding of bankruptcy, not necessarily in that order.

No rationalization whatsoever.

Rick "following it where it leads" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Mar 26, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

4. Likes scottjc, JAGtime liked this post
    Poljot bought the machinery to assemble the 3133 movement from Valjoux - hardly 'ripping off' the movement

6. Likes Rdenney, Der Amf, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Poljot bought the machinery to assemble the 3133 movement from Valjoux - hardly 'ripping off' the movement
    That has been disputed. Lysander did a tear-down comparison some years ago and found many differences--plate thickness, bridge design, screw and alignment pin locations, date-change mechanism; all of which suggest that Poljot worked from fresh drawings and not from the original machines.

Rick "wondering if this is a myth" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Oh this so deserves its own thread

9. Likes Rdenney, Churchy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    That has been disputed. Lysander did a tear-down comparison some years ago and found many differences--plate thickness, bridge design, screw and alignment pin locations, date-change mechanism; all of which suggest that Poljot worked from fresh drawings and not from the original machines.

Rick "wondering if this is a myth" Denney
    I saw Lysander's comparison
    Here's a history of the movement by polmax3133, another respected f10 member who knows his (Poljot) onions:
    http://www.polmax3133.com/history.html
    He notes the changes and improvements

11. Likes Der Amf, tribe125, is that my watch liked this post
    I am not mental about my watches, but they do play heads games with me.......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

13. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    I love the idea behind this thread but don't know where to begin...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I think watch collecting is a simple pleasure, and I still love discussing design, history and mechanics
    I just like shiny, pretty watches.
    There's nothing important to read here.

17. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I mostly wear American made RR grade pocketwatches. My current spreadsheet (gotta get that database up and running) has 88 entries for pocketwatches (a very small number are "movement only"). The wristwatch section is puny - only 5 entries - but there are 3 "in the mail" (one should arrive tomorrow!). I service all of my pocketwatches before wearing them; there are 28 listed as "can be worn" (but 3 will come back from the shop realSoonNow and join their ranks. I haven't quite figured out what my policy will be on these new fangled wrist-thingys.

My usual practice is to march more-or-less chronologically through the "wearable" pile - rotating once per week. Currently, I'm at 1912...
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.