Likes Likes:  93
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How do you mentally make sense of your collection?

I try not to or my head would explode haha there smoke coming out my ears just thing about the question
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes whatmeworry, Der Amf liked this post
    Watches that I wear and enjoy or watches that have personal sentimental value to me.

If I do not wear and enjoy a watch, it's given away (usually to a friend or a relative). When I was much younger, I loved the Breitling Navitimer. In fact, I believe it was my first "real" watch. But over time, I realized just how big and gaudy it was, so I stopped wear it. When a relative was graduating from aerospace engineering (or aeronautical, can't remember), I had it sent to Breitling to be fully refurbished, and gift it to him. He continues to wear it to this day.

Mrs. M has appropriated my Pam and Seiko Monster, and I gifted a Rolex Datejust that was too small for my wrist to my father. I find that this is a good way to keep a relatively small collection. Plus, the act of giving a watch away (as a gift) means that I know who gets it, so in a way, I still know the watch is being cared of.

The watches that have sentimental value to me (my grandfather's PP Gübelin or my father's Rolex) are in a locker, because they are very special. I used to occasionally wear them, but unfortunately, they look quite small relatively to my wrists, so I just figured I'd save them for posterity.
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; Mar 29, 2015 at 06:05 PM.

Recommended viewing: "Toy Story II"
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

When I check off the box I move on to the next horology experience. GMT, check. Diver, check. Dress watch, check....

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    There is no way to "rationalize" my collection and I can't think of any compelling reason to apply the word "strict" to how I choose which one I wear on any given day.

I once bout a Poljot Sturmaskie chronograph because it was available and cheap. I wore it for a while but it was (is) erratic. I researched the Poljot and found the story a bit in compelling (ripoff of Valjoux 7633, etc.)

Years later, I bought an Ebel for dressier occasions. I researched the Ebel brand. I bought another, and researched the movement. That led to a discovery of forums, Zenith, high-beat escapements, A. Schild, etablissage, horological beauty, the Jura mountains, the Community of Precision Watchmaking, the Watch Snob, column wheels, the PLAAF ST-19, Lemania, Zodiac, the Swiss Franc, and an understanding of bankruptcy, not necessarily in that order.

No rationalization whatsoever.

Rick "following it where it leads" Denney
    The pioneer has arrows in his back. The second wave reaps the benefits.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Size, I believe someone said, isn't everything
    In watches as well as so much of life
    That's what y'all with small sizes always say.

No sense @ all for mine, except for the 3-5 pieces I've purchased to celebrate my personal achievements in life & the 1 to commemorate my marriage vows,
    Edit : I guess they do make SOME sense after all. Thank you for making me think on putting some perspective on my collection

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

9. Likes JAGtime, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    That's what y'all with small sizes always say.
    Small and proud
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427689645.942777.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  51.5 KB
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

I don't try to make sense of anything more significant than lunch. I'm good with lunch. Lunch makes sense to me.

Think I'll get a quick bite.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

12. Likes Uber, JAGtime, is that my watch liked this post