Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Roman numerals yes or no ****

**** Roman numerals yes or no ****

I was glancing through my collection and I realized I did not have many had a couple of old timex and think a Russian and maybe have a couple of quartz in a box somewhere that I don't use

so do I dis-like them no if I like the watch they are on I might buy the watch.... but would I search out a watch with them on particular no probably not

do you actively look for them or hate them lol if so why ?

as I said I am a bit meh to the whole thing I'm a take it or leave it

itmy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

My problem with roman numerals is that they're a signifier of A Classy Expensive Watch and designers often seem to think that if they slap them on their dial then the watch will look classy and expensive.

Similar problem with guilloche dials - the real thing is really really hard to do, and some manufacturers think that moulding their dial to look like guilloche looks Oh So Impressive.

I like things to look like they really are, and so I find details like this on a cheap watch a bit like the lipstick on the proverbial pig.

(I used to have a Shanghai with these two things, and they were so unconvincingly done, and put on such a fat nugget of a watch, that the haplessness itself became charming )

(I still gave it away, mind )
    Last edited by Der Amf; Mar 27, 2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Stray comma

3. Likes scottjc liked this post
    I like roman numerals on some watches, but on another day I prefer stick markers, or Arabic.

Here's some of mine with Romans

Or you can have both!

5. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Romans and Arabic numerals together remind me of Leviticus 19:19: "Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee"

PS love the Parnis at the top!^^^^

7. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Romans and Arabic numerals together remind me of Leviticus 19:19: "Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee"

PS love the Parnis at the top!^^^^

The Parnis is a mod project btw, replace the dial with this one, and still planning on putting blued breguet hands in.

9. Likes Der Amf, Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

If you're going to indulge in perverse californification, do it properly:

Name:  califorked.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  53.8 KB

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    Seems I don't like them. Which surprised me as I didn't think I was swayed either way.
    I had to go and check but I only have two watches with Roman numerals, both of which Mrs Wife bought for me while I was elsewhere. (Oh and one of the MWC watches but I don't count those)
    Most of mine either have no numbers at all or are 3-6-9-12 dials.
    I do like that Tissot and the bulova, and both the Parnis.

13. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I like roman numerals on some watches, but on another day I prefer stick markers, or Arabic.

Here's some of mine with Romans

Or you can have both!
    now that I like but then I like coin cases
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you're going to indulge in perverse californification, do it properly:

Name:  califorked.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  53.8 KB

haha that kinda that bad it become's good
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Churchy View Post
    Seems I don't like them. Which surprised me as I didn't think I was swayed either way.
    I had to go and check but I only have two watches with Roman numerals, both of which Mrs Wife bought for me while I was elsewhere. (Oh and one of the MWC watches but I don't count those)
    Most of mine either have no numbers at all or are 3-6-9-12 dials.
    I do like that Tissot and the bulova, and both the Parnis.
    yeah I go for the pan type dial a lot with the 3-6-9-12 but the bulova is good I should really have shown some more of the not so good Roman dials haha

which mwc had the Roman dial then ? can't remember that one ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy